OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SBE2

Started by cmd242, January 25, 2014, 01:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmd242

Guys, just bought my first benelli, a SBE2 26" in Bottomland. I've always shot browning, so this benelli is new to me. What choke and loads is everyone having success with?

reynolds243

I'd start with what shell you are wanting to shoot and then find a choke that does that ammo best. For magblends I like SumToy 650 , Rob Roberts 655 and hevi choke. Some have found the jelly head. 660 to work with magblends as well. For most hevi shot the sweet spot seems to be in the 650-660 range.

SumToy also did some testing with the new Winchester load and found it did great with a. 665

Congrats on the gun I actually have the exact gun down to the camo! You will love it

cmd242

Thanks! Anyone else?

budtripp

I've had pretty good luck with my SBE 2 with a kicks .655 and hevi 6's.  It does pretty decent with lead 5's too.

allaboutshooting

I've been shooting Benelli shotguns since 1991, several SBEs, one SBEII, a couple Novas and a Vinci. I've also shot all the barrel lengths 24", 26" and 28". The bores of all those guns are the same. The only difference in the SBEII and Vinci is that the choke is longer. They all have, by most standards, very tight bores. Barrels are chrome lined and appear to be clean when in fact they are not. A good cleaning with Hoppe's will do wonders for patterning.

I've shot a lot of different chokes with those guns. It's really not about the exit diameter but it's more about the internal geometry of the choke. That's why a .643 choke in one brand and a .665 in another brand may do equally well.

While your gun will chamber and fire 3.5" shells, the 3" shells will do everything necessary, pattern equally well and have much less recoil.

I shoot both #6 and #7 shot through my guns but since I shoot so many more #6 shot shells and know exactly what they will do, I prefer them.

As far as brand of shotshells I prefer Hevi-13, again because I shoot so many of them each year both in competition and for hunting. They are consistent performers each and every time.

You have an excellent shotgun that will last several lifetimes with minimal care. They just keep going boom, every time you pull the trigger and even if you don't maintain it, it will just keep on shooting.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

beagler

Getting very good results with a Rhino (.660) shooting Nitro's and Mag Blends.
Never Misses

cmd242

How much are these guns going for? I feel like I got duped.

reynolds243

Saw some in bottomland on sale the other day for I think $1299 but usually they are around 1500. I got mine cheap and had it dipped though

cmd242

I paid $1800 for mine. Sounds like I got screwed.

ccleroy

Quote from: cmd242 on January 26, 2014, 07:19:13 PM
I paid $1800 for mine. Sounds like I got screwed.

Yea you did

reynolds243

$1800 wow, if brand new and came with some chokes i say you paid MSRP but you definitely could have found it cheaper.

regardless i wouldn't get caught up in it now, you own it and it is an awesome gun

cmd242

It was $1699, so with tax it ended up being $1800. Oh well

reynolds243

Quote from: cmd242 on January 26, 2014, 10:36:19 PM

yeah i wouldn't say you got taken really, you just paid full retail for it. 20years from now it really won't make a difference so i wouldn't even worry about it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: cmd242 on January 26, 2014, 10:36:19 PM

I still have the first SBE that I bought in 1991 and if I remember correctly, I paid something like $900.00 for it. That's about 23 years I've had and enjoyed that gun and it works out to about $40.00 per year. It has never needed a repair and it works today as well as it did when it was new.

I can't think of much of anything that has cost less and given me more enjoyment.

I would not at all be concerned about what you paid for that gun. It's a great gun that will last several lifetimes with any reasonable care.

All my best to you with your great gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mudhen

Quote from: cmd242 on January 25, 2014, 01:33:45 PM
Guys, just bought my first benelli, a SBE2 26" in Bottomland. I've always shot browning, so this benelli is new to me. What choke and loads is everyone having success with?

Jellyhead & 3" Magnum Blend is a no-brainer in my SBE II....

To call it a back-up to my SV with FF III is basically an insult....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka