OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 SPS-T camo 20 ga choke/load help

Started by Briar, January 23, 2014, 02:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briar

Hi folks:

I have been reading about a year on here but just joined today.  I just bought a new gun (the one in the title of my post) and am looking for a shortcut to a good choke/load suggestion.  I am not looking to set any long distance turkey killing records but sure wouldn't mind an effective 40 yard turkey killer.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? 

SKFOOTER

Truglo SSX .550 choke and Federal Heavyweight #7's. :OGturkeyhead:

mossyoakpro

Phillippians 4:13

FireDoc

Yep, my setup is exactly as stated above. You can't go wrong with it!

I started with a Primos Jellyhead choke, and the same load but after some research and suggestions I switched to the Truglo choke. Much better results!

That's a great gun, and I think you'll be happy with it!

Good luck this Spring!  :gobble:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

gophert

OK, here's the run down on pretty much all the good Remington chokes:

Let's assume you are going to shoot either Federal Heavy Weight #7's or Hevi #7's

Check out the pattern section for detailed patterns:

Indian Creek .555
Sumtoy
Truglo SSX .550
Remington Super Full .570 Hevi approved (not made anymore and hard to find)
Carlsons
Primos Tightwad (this one is hit or miss, depends on your gun)

If you want to spend your money and be done, I would suggest either of the first 2.  Hope this helps. 

Briar

Thanks so much all you guys for helping me out....I will be posting pattern pics before you know it... :z-guntootsmiley:

01Foreman400

If you ever want to sell it please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Briar

Well i am just picking it up tomorrow.  It is about as new as it gets, box, paperwork, case and matching youth stock.....to be honest I am pretty excited about it. 

01Foreman400

Quote from: Briar on January 24, 2014, 04:07:49 PM
Well i am just picking it up tomorrow.  It is about as new as it gets, box, paperwork, case and matching youth stock.....to be honest I am pretty excited about it.

I've been looking for one for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

ncturkey

I got a Remington 870 youth 21" 20 ga. It patterned well with a .562 Indian Creek. I got avg of 150-168 with Hevi 13 #7 load. I got a .555 Indian Creek I will be trying it out when it warms up.

Philippe

Before you go spending a major amount on chokes, try the Remington RSF chokes first. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Briar

Quote from: Philippe on February 02, 2014, 09:22:26 PM
Before you go spending a major amount on chokes, try the Remington RSF chokes first. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

:agreed:Thanks Philippe. This is the choke that came with the gun.  I guess it would make sense to try it at least.  Sometimes the simplest answers are the best.