Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chokes and Shells for Mossberg 500 super Bantam 20 ga.

Started by Katmandew, January 21, 2014, 01:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katmandew

I decided on the SB over the Nova for my kids.  I would like to know from those that have this gun what shells and chokes pattern the best.  I got some hevi-13 mag blends and plan to get a box of the federal heavyweight 7's also since they are so popular here.  I am looking at the hevi-13 choke and the tightwad pri mos choke, and possibly the pure gold choke as well.  It comes with the factory mossberg super full also.  I've read a lot of you are using a sumtoy choke and guess that's a custom because I haven't seen that brand in the stores I've checked.  Any input from those that shoot this gun with any of these combos is much appreciated.  Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R AJ

The Sumtoy choke is a custom choke available through Sumtoy Custom Chokes on William Lambert's web site.

I do not have the SB so no recommendations for it specifically. I do recommend highly the Fed HW #7 load for the 20 gauge due to the extra shot content and performance of pattern over the mag blend in 20 gauge. I simply prefer the extra shot in the pattern for 40 yard and under ranges.

Gut Pile

I have the Mossberg SB in mossy oak, the gun is great. It's light weight, and for me it was super accurate with the factory supplied super modified , or whatever,  it was the tightest one, choke. I used the Federal Heavyweights #7's and I got my first turkey ever with it last year. I did not have time to pattern the gun before that hunt. I will be most likely getting a sumtoy choke very soon for it and that's about it. You and your kids will enjoy this gun. Good luck.

I originally bought this gun for my kids as well, now I use it specifically for Turkey only.
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

Katmandew

Quote from: RAJ on January 21, 2014, 06:51:55 AM
The Sumtoy choke is a custom choke available through Sumtoy Custom Chokes on William Lambert's web site.

I do not have the SB so no recommendations for it specifically. I do recommend highly the Fed HW #7 load for the 20 gauge due to the extra shot content and performance of pattern over the mag blend in 20 gauge. I simply prefer the extra shot in the pattern for 40 yard and under ranges.

I found the sumtoy site but don't see where to order the chokes.  The "store" section only has shirts, decals, sun visors and caps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ccaldwell

Give the phone number on the website a call. William is a real nice guy who is really helpful. I just ordered a choke from him today.

cohuttariverrat

I set up a bantam 20ga last year. Was wood stock bantam so I wraped it with Mossy oak graphic kit and blacked out the shiny bolt. Added truglo sights. I could only afford to try 3 different shells HW#7, Magblends, and Win Xtend range. Tried factory chokes, Primo tightwad ported, and HS undertaker non ported. My best patterns @ 40yd were with Undertaker/HW#7 combo. It was in 130's. I then polished the bore as recommended and it bumped it up to 150's. Magblends is my 2nd choice if I run out of the HW#7 and the Xtend range wasn't much better than lead loads. The tightwad choke done good, just didn't get the numbers like the undertaker gave. I am looking forward to trying a different choke as soon as weather warms up. Maybe a sumtoy as well

Katmandew

How do you "Polish the bore"?  It's that just clean and oil or is there more to it than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gobblergls

Dunno if the barrel is chrome lined or not.  If it is, aggressive "polishing" can do more harm than good.
Some get better patterns by shooting a lot of rounds through it and then by cleaning bore with an alcohol swab rather than a bore solvent.  Maybe Sumtoy can comment about this and correct me if I am wrong.

Bigstruttin

I was shooting federal heavyweights #7 in my SB with a tightwad and was averaging 110-120 in the 10" at 40 yards. Not the best numbers but shot a bird with it last year at 50 yards and it fell as fast as a bird I shot from 15 yards.

cohuttariverrat

The link fullchoke posted is it. Im sure not every gun would get an increase in numbers. I followed the instructions to a T and it helped my pattern. It turned out just like those before and after pics. Shiny mirror finish.

bcknuts

Try the TruGlow ssx .550 with Federal heavyweights #7 and 6.Can get 170 to 180's at 35 yard's.
Kevin