OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

20 ga for youth Mossberg 500 bantam or Benelli Nova?

Started by Katmandew, January 11, 2014, 01:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katmandew

I'm looking to buy my kids a turkey gun.  They are 11 and 8.  I have decided to go with a 20 ga.  I'm looking at both the Mossberg 500 bantam turkey and the Benelli Nova Pump.  Assuming the extra $100 for the Benelli is not a problem, which should I get?  The Mossberg weighs 1.25 lbs less with a 2" shorter barrel which I think would be easier for them to handle, but I have a Super Black Eagle II so I really like Benelli.  I'm thinking the Benelli will have less recoil, but would like to hear some opinions of those that have shot these guns.  Thanks for looking!

gobblergls

Once you get a tricked-out Super Bantam for your kids, you won't want to tote the SBE.  I went through the same progression.  From a thread below, here is my tricked out SB.  The SB comes with spacers to progressively lengthen the stock.  It also has a certificate for an adult stock at a reduced price.  The gun comes drilled and tapped for scopes or red dots.  It's a deal, a real turkey killer and many adults use it as a main turkey gun.  I did for 4 years until I went to single shot 20 and .410.
Here's my Super B.  Trijicon Reflex sight, Neoprene comb riser, Uncle Mike's slip on pad over SB's recoil pad to extend LOP, PG .570 choke,Claw sling.  Lightweight, reliable turkey killer.  Digests and exhales TSS 9's just fine.

Tom Dooley

I have never shot the Benelli but I have the Mossberg SB and love it. I am sure either will shoot fine with the right choke and load combo. I would highly recommend getting a good red dot for your kids.

chatterbox

I don't know anything about the Benelli's, but my son has the Mossberg Bantam, and loves it!
I have a Burris FFII on it, and put an adult stock that Clark Bush from allaboutshooting so generously gave me. I have a factory full flush choke in it, and he is shooting Federal Heviweight 3-1.5-7's. That shell with the factory flush choke is very forgiving to a young hunter.
This combo is bad news for gobblers! It shoots so well, that I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it myself!

Katmandew

Quote from: gobblergls on January 11, 2014, 06:01:51 AM
Once you get a tricked-out Super Bantam for your kids, you won't want to tote the SBE.  I went through the same progression.  From a thread below, here is my tricked out SB.  The SB comes with spacers to progressively lengthen the stock.  It also has a certificate for an adult stock at a reduced price.  The gun comes drilled and tapped for scopes or red dots.  It's a deal, a real turkey killer and many adults use it as a main turkey gun.  I did for 4 years until I went to single shot 20 and .410.
Here's my Super B.  Trijicon Reflex sight, Neoprene comb riser, Uncle Mike's slip on pad over SB's recoil pad to extend LOP, PG .570 choke,Claw sling.  Lightweight, reliable turkey killer.  Digests and exhales TSS 9's just fine.

Who makes a TSS 9 and what does that stand for?  So if they were the same price you would rather have the moss 500 than the Benelli?

gobblergls

PM sent.  I'd rather have the SB.  No knock on the Nova, but the size and weight difference are important to me.

tree-rat sniper

I have the std size 500 20 ga turkey (22" w/  x-factor choke).  I'm in the process of testing loads for it before the spring season opens up, haven't had it long but I like the 500 so far.  My boss has a 20 ga. Nova & loves it, he frequently mentions its light weight & balance.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Katmandew

Quote from: tree-rat sniper on January 13, 2014, 02:52:52 AM
I have the std size 500 20 ga turkey (22" w/  x-factor choke).  I'm in the process of testing loads for it before the spring season opens up, haven't had it long but I like the 500 so far.  My boss has a 20 ga. Nova & loves it, he frequently mentions its light weight & balance.

From the specs, the SB is lighter than the nova.  I really like the looks of the nova and the feel of benelli in general, but this gun is for my 8 and 11 year olds.  A red dot is gonna be a must and I know the 500 comes drilled and tapped.  From what I've read, the Nova doesnt and is very hard to get tapped right by a gunsmith.  I dont think I wanna mess with getting it drilled/tapped if it doesnt come that way from the factory.  I was wondering about the new 2014 Novas and if they were the exact same as I have been reading about or if they do come drilled/tapped now?  If not, that pretty much seals the deal for me.  I will prob get a SB Turkey in HW Green and slap a Burris FF on it.

I would like to know what shells/choke you decide on.  I want a jelly head, but apparently they don't make one for this gun.

hoyt38

I had a Benelli Nova 20 gauge with a rhino choke and I shot 3' nitro through it and it patterned great for turkeys. great gun too, never jammed and easy to clean. Id go with the benelli.
"He Shouldn't Oughta Done'nat! He Dead" -TKM

cphill

My wife hunts with a nova 20 ga and it's a great gun but for a kid lop may be a little long ...for the red dot I put a rib mount on it and 5 Years and 4 turkeys later still holding up

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

SCGobbler

I am looking to buy my son one as well.  The Mossberg comes with some interesting combo barrel packages that may be worth looking at.

My son is 9 and I looked at one before Christmas that has the field barrel, turkey barrel, and the slug barrel combo in it.  I think it was around $400.00.  If you are a multi-species hunter, that may be worth looking at.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Katmandew

Quote from: SCGobbler on January 22, 2014, 12:19:52 PM
I am looking to buy my son one as well.  The Mossberg comes with some interesting combo barrel packages that may be worth looking at.

My son is 9 and I looked at one before Christmas that has the field barrel, turkey barrel, and the slug barrel combo in it.  I think it was around $400.00.  If you are a multi-species hunter, that may be worth looking at.
Super Bantam Turkey model $393 after tax at WalMart.  Ordered it Monday.  Best price I found.  That doesn't include the 2 extra barrels tho.  I plan on getting a modified choke for field hunting if they ever do that.  Don't need the slug barrel here in TN.  They already have a deer rifle and we are not restricted to shotguns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk