turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Guy Introduction

Started by JuniorPre 360, January 09, 2014, 12:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniorPre 360

What's going on! I've been doing research on turkeys and stumbled upon this site so I thought I'd join another online community.

A little about myself, I'm a younger guy and have been married for two and a half years. I'm a student at the moment studying elementary education. I've been deer, duck, goose, swan, and other bird hunting since I was about 8 years old. Also been trapping for extra money since I was a kid. Duck season is coming to an end in 2 weeks for me, so I needed to do something to keep me happy other than fishing and turkey populations are on the rise in my state. I'm not a newbie when it comes to hunting or the outdoors, but I definitely can't be any more new or clueless when it come to turkey hunting hahaha.

My gear that I have so far is a Primos slate call, 4 Cherokee decoys (on the way), and am getting some green camo because Max 4 doesn't look the best in the forest. Thought I'd start off cheap and if needed, upgrade my gear as time goes on.

I just retired my old trusty Mossberg 835 after about 13 long and brutal duck seasons. I now have a Stoeger M3500, great bang for the buck by the way, tipped with a .655 Primos JellyHead choke tube. I'll be patterning it with some Winchester Double X 3 1/2 inch #6 shot sometime next week and plan on posting my results to start contributing to the community.

I plan on sticking around and becoming a regular around here. I hope I can contribute as much as possible and also learn from the pros or from the rednecks like me!

Hoosier2

Welcome bud. I just signed up here after being on archerytalk for about 5 years. Lots to learn here and really good guys. I might have to trespass near you if you're having high turkey numbers!

Deputy 14

:welcomeOG:  This is the best forum you'll join.

Spring Creek Calls

Welcome! You're coming in just as things are about to get rollin'.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

ericjames

Welcome to OG, there is not a better place. Everyone here will be more than happy to get you going, sounds like you ate headed in the right direction.

R AJ

Welcome to OG . You found a site that ranges from old gobblers to just hatched.

Save back a couple of $20 and get some of the new Winchester LB XR  shells , back orderable at Cabela's now.
5s or 6s should be fine. Do lots of searches and be ready on that slate call.
Also there are lots of video sound bites on OG and others to help you with cadence, volume, timing,etc.

Finally, and most importantly other than safety, turkey calling is a lot like duck hunting. The best calling in the world is never as good as being where he wants to be. As an old timer once said, "Your success in turkey hunting is directly proportional to your proximity and the pressure on the turkey's gonads" . When you finally get one to come in it seems too easy. Finding a lonely , love hungry bird is a key factor to make you the best caller in the world that day. It's the other times that make you nutty, buy different calls, stay up late at night trying to out smart a turkey that is only two or three yrs. old, loose too much sleep, and on and on, but it is by far my favorite outdoor entertainment ever.

Gooserbat

First, Welcome to the forum, I can't say it's total madness around here because we do keep it pretty civil but we still have a lot of fun.   I echo what RAJ said about the ammo. 

Also since that was such a great first post and your a newbie needing help, if you'll pm me your address I'll ship you one of my Classic Hen diaphragms on me. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JuniorPre 360

Thanks for the welcoming committee! I'm going to look into the Winchester Longbeards for sure. I scored $60 worth of gift cards at sportsmansguide.com so I bought what they had in stock to give it a try since it would be free. I appreciate the advice on ammo.

@Gooserbat, I appreciate the offer. I'll go ahead and send you my information. Again, I really appreciate it!

Now, I'm looking more forward to the season. Utah has a limited entry season that lasts for 2 weeks I believe and you draw for one specific area. I thought I'd skip that and go for the general season that lasts a month and it is statewide. Those tags are OTC. Kind of different than other states from what I've been hearing.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

kevin2

:newmascot: :wagon: :newmascot:

Enjoy the sight...lots of great information & hunters here.

Kevin
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Turkeyman11

Utah has a different season structure than other states for sure.  I am from Southern Utah and although the early hunt can be good, I only hunt the late season.  You can hunt anywhere and have a month to do it.  Lots of birds right now also.  God luck, love to hear when someone new gets the obsession!

Gold Spur

:welcomeOG: Welcome aboard! OG is an awesome website.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

JuniorPre 360

Good to see I'm not the only "Utard" on the turkey forum. I was thinking I would have just about the same amount of luck during the late hunt as I would in an early hunt. And I like the idea of going throughout the entire state for the entire month. I'll be hunting around Northern Utah unless my cousin down near Redmond has seen some around where he scouts for elk.  :icon_thumright:

tomstopper