OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga help

Started by jim67, January 07, 2014, 08:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim67

Happy new year to you all! I am itching to get a 20ga for turkey hunting, as my Mossberg 835 stock is just a little too long for my likings, and with all the new ammo and chokes I realize that a 20 is just as lethal. Now, I just cant seem to make my mind up which one.I like the Mossbergs because I shoot LH and the safety is much more friendly for me but the others aren't out of the question. I don't or cant spend a bunch of money and would have to sell the 835 first, but am throwing this out now. I prefer a pump or semi with around a 24" barrel.                      Thanks Jim

FL-Boss

Mossberg SA-20 Turkey Thug Semi.  Got one last year.. won't carry anything else now turkey hunting ( and I have plenty to choose from)

Shorter stock ( you will like) light to carry.  But.. the safety is a traditional trigger safety... not like all other mossbergs. 

Tom Dooley

My son uses the Mossberg Super Bantam. He tagged out early last year. After that I left the 835 at home and used his gun the rest of the year. I love the size of the gun and length of pull over the 835.

gobblergls

Here's my Super B.  Trijicon Reflex sight, Neoprene comb riser, Uncle Mike's slip on pad over SB's recoil pad to extend LOP, PG .570 choke,Claw sling.  Lightweight, reliable turkey killer.  Digests and exhales TSS 9's just fine.

jim67

Thanks for all the replies, I might have my 835 sold so I went to Walmart and found they can order me a Mossberg 20ga turkey gun. Here is my question, I can get the 500 in a 24" barrel or a 22" turkey barrel. My 835 has a 24" barrel and isn't all that long and could be used for other game with a choke change. What would you get? Does the 22" pattern better for turkey? I already have a wood stock 20ga for other game, but feel maybe the 24" could be more versatile.

FL-Boss

longer barrel will most likely always preform a little better. But 22in vs 24in.. shouldn't be noticeable. I would get the shorter barrel if it was me.   The choke ( Sumtoy) and load ( Federal #7, HW) is what's more important in that mossberg.  look at this if you haven't already.. I liked it so much I got two of them!   http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-sa-20-turkey-thug/75782-0

jim67

Well I sold my 835 then went ahead and ordered a Mossberg super Bantam turkey 20ga. I decided the SB because of the safety position and cost, about equal from what I sold the 835 for. Cant wait. The gun will come with coupon for 50% off if I want to buy a full size stock for this gun, which I will probably get regardless. Thanks again, looks like I will be looking for a Sumtoy choke and some Heavy 7.

surehuntsalot

good luck with the new 20ga,you are going to love it.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tom Dooley

I personally like the shorter LOP on the stock that comes with the Super Bantam for turkey hunting.

gophert

I can't speak on the Mossberg since I don't have one, but I do hunt with a 21" barrel on my 870 20 ga.  Patterns are crazy good so I don't think it will matter which barrel length you chose.  I would just get the one that feels right.  With loads and chokes these days, I just don't think you give up too much going with the short barrel.  Good luck and post pictures when you get it.

jim67

Well I got the Mossberg SB in the other day. I shot it yesterday but not alot, still have to finish POI with the red dot scope. I just ordered a Truglo SSX choke for it to try it first, if that isnt up to the job I will order a Sumtoy. I dont have any heavy shot or anything like that yet,but I dont want to be chasing a bunch of numbers, so I will be reviewing some posts here and see what to try.