OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Maxus, PG, MagBlend pattern

Started by Thunderchicken, March 10, 2011, 10:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderchicken

Patterned my new Browning Maxus 3.5 today.  Conditions:
3.5 inch 12 ga. Hevishot mag blend
Pure gold .670
40 yards
47 deg

2-shot ave in 10in circle= 168

Pattern not as consistent sat I would have liked, a little clumpy.  Numbers lower than I hoped.  Wish I had a Tgssx and a pjh to test alongside.

Any suggestions?

Buddy shot 870 with 3 inch mag blends and a tightwad today, same conditions, and got 175.  My 870 with same loads and choke last year posted 132... Think he's pulling my leg.

redleg06

You need to either polish your barrel or at the very least, deep clean it.

I shoot that combo and have been shooting between 215-235.

Thunderchicken

Quote from: redleg06 on March 10, 2011, 10:19:33 PM
You need to either polish your barrel or at the very least, deep clean it.

I shoot that combo and have been shooting between 215-235.
Looks like your photo is of an 870 3.5 inch (unless I'm mistaken), which we didn't test. What temp was that?

redleg06

It was right around 70 degrees when I shot that one.

It is the 3.5" shell. 

Thunderchicken

Anyone have a suggestion for a better choke for the Maxus?  Going to send my PG back if I can find a better alternative.

hunttherut

I shoot a browning gold with invector plus choke system.  I shoot a .670 Jellyhead and get 220+ in 10 inch circle at 40 yards using 3" magblends. 

fountain

Check with Sumtoy...think he was getting high numbers with his choke and hevi 7s.

pullit

Buddy of mine came over last night and he was shooting Mag Blend and an IC .665 that looked like it would do the trick. He shot at 50 yards and still had a good pattern. I did not count his hits.

knightrider

try the tree inch before you get rid of the choke, the threes give me better numbers than the three and half

bowhunter84

my 1187 with a rhino .670 would put 301 in a 10" circle @ 40yds with the 3.5" mag blends

shootumindaface

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 30, 2011, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: bowhunter84 on March 30, 2011, 09:49:47 AM
my 1187 with a rhino .670 would put 301 in a 10" circle @ 40yds with the 3.5" mag blends

You got a pic of that pattern? I wouldn't mind seeing that one, because that is the best mag blend pattern I have heard of, and beats the best one I have seen by 40 or so pellets.
No doubt Slicky.. If I got that, I would buy 5 cases of the same lot

archery1

do you guys get a better pattern form the 3" blends than just 7 shot? i am shooting a mossy 835 with ic choke. i did deep clean and polish my barrel
Take a kid hunting