turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need help with 20ga.

Started by pdugas, December 16, 2013, 12:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdugas

I recently acquired a Rem. youth 20ga and decided to trick it out for turkey hunting . It has a 21" barrel and a tru-glo choke. With Federal heavyweight # 7's it shoots low and to the left. Is there anything I can do besides mounting a red dot or scope on it ?

gobblergls

A competent gunsmith can correct POI by slightly bending the barrel.  I've seen a gunsmith place a barrel between two upright wooden posts and tug away.  Another used a fork in a low oak tree.  How low and wide does it shoot? 

pdugas

About a foot low and wide enough to miss a complete turkey at 30 - 40 yds.

savduck

I would try calling Remington first and see if they would warrant it since its so far off. If they wont then take it to a gunsmith. If that doesn't work, then drop money on a red dot.
Georgia Boy

pdugas

What red dot do you guys recommend ?

alloutdoors

Burris FastFire3 if you have the money to spend, but regardless of whether or not you end up putting a red dot on it, I would try to correct the POI/POA issue.

the Ward

If your not going to use a sight and just the bead you mite want to try a piece of cheek -eze pad or something similar to raise your eye up(eye is rear sight)to see if that will correct for a low poi.Now to shift poi to the right you can put a small shim in between the stock and receiver on the left side(will shift poi to right)Shim can be a toothpick or something thin that will fit.It will take some experimentation to get it right.Or just put a sight on it and be done with it lol!Also you want to check to see if the choke is centered in the barrel.From what I gather some new guns are coming from the factory with the chokes bored off center.

pdugas

I installed an ATI recoil reducing six position stock on it before I shot it. I may put the factory stock back on to see where it hits.

R AJ

Quote from: pdugas on December 17, 2013, 04:07:40 PM
I installed an ATI recoil reducing six position stock on it before I shot it. I may put the factory stock back on to see where it hits.

If it is a six position stock you should be able to adjust it. Just use cheaper field loads for POA/POI correction and then dial it in to the load you want to use. Your thought on the factory stock is a good move as well. I never go to sights unless it is absolutely necessary.

pdugas

The 6 position stock has an adjustiable cheek piece that is down as far as it will go. As  far as shooting to the left , not real sure what I can do for that except a rear sight . I too don't care for sights on a shotgun. I also plan on tryng a different choke.

SumToy

If you have any other chokes get them and some junk bird shot.  Shot about two shots out of a few different chokes at say 50 feet.  If all hit the same spot you can bend the barrel, put rifle sights or a red dot.  Now why I say try few chokes I have seen some chokes be off.  All the choke companies try catch them but a few will slip by and get sold.  :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

pdugas

Thanks for all the info. I will try them as soon as I get time.

Britton40

Tru glo magnum gobble dot rifle sights.

SKFOOTER

Get a set of Williams Fire Sights for it.