turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge Mossberg 500 and chokes ?

Started by Jrhunter25, December 05, 2013, 02:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrhunter25

What type of chokes that give a very small pattern will fit in a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 28" vent rib ported barrel ? What shot shells and sizes will do good for turkey from 10-40 yards and make a clean kill if I do my part ? What loads for Canadian Goose or waterfowl from 10-30 yards given I do my part ? Please 3" magnums or 2/34 heavy loads. Please give stories or anything on successful hunts against this game. IS the 20 gauge effective against turkey, ducks, waterfowl, and goose ?

R AJ

Chokes in the 560- 570 range work best for turkey. In heavier than lead loads teh Federal HW #7 and H-13 in #7 are my top choices.

For goose,etc. try an improved cylinder or modified choke and Kent Fast Steel in #2, BB, . The 20 gauge is very capable of taking all feathered species, deer and bear, when shooting the appropriate loads, and ranges.
For slugs try Remington Accu Tip in rifled barrels and Federal Tru Balls 2 3/4" in smooth bores using an improved cylinder.

A 20 gauge has as much power as a 12 gauge given the same velocities and shot. The 20 may carry a smaller load but the shot string is shorter than the 12, assuming the same length shell is used.

More than anything, shooter safety first, shoot to know what your patterns and capabilities are at certain distances, stay within those limits, and know your target before ever pulling the trigger because you can never take back a shot.

SumToy

We run two chokes.  Turkey a 562 with Fed HWT and Modified for every thing else. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA