OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester 1300 choke/ammo suggestions

Started by Tommythreetoes, November 27, 2013, 07:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommythreetoes

My brother in law will hunt turkeys for the first time next spring.  He has a winchester 1300 and I'd like to buy him a choke for it, but didn't know what was working well in them.  He'll probably upgrade into a designated turkey gun in the future if he becomes hooked, so I don't want to break the bank for it.  What ammo choke combos can you recommend for us?  I'd like to shy away for shooting hevi for now $$.  Plus, we don't want to spoil him right off the bat.

Tommythreetoes

Forgot to say...12 guage is what were working with here.

SumToy

Run something in the 650 rang with Winchester 6's.  Now go up to 665 rang with Federal FCW 6's. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

paboxcall

Excellent advice Sumtoy just gave.

You can also spend some time searching the "turkey gun pattern" pictures here on Old Gobbler, lots of 1300s with different shell/choke combos that will also point you in the right direction.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,105.0.html

I shoot a Jellyhead .660 with Hevi 3" 2oz #7 loads through my 1300, you can also find a picture of that pattern in the above forum.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spring Creek Calls

I shoot a 1300 with a 26" barrel and an Indian Creek 660. I also use hevi 3-2-7's. Dense even patterns.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Songdog2012

I have used a 1300 nwtf model for years, i use a hasteings .665 with federal flight control wads #5 shot and they are 3 inch shells. This combo has taken many turkeys for me at some pretty good ranges.

Tommythreetoes

Ended up buying a truglo gobble stopper choke for the 12 ga winchester 1300.  It's a .665.  It is a ported choke.  I was going to try the Federal FCW in 3" #6.  Any other choices for ammo out there that I should be looking at?  Once winter eases up, we will begin the test.  Recommendations?

mikejd

Now we are talking my speed. No matter what turkey gun I get or shoot I always go back to my 1300's. I have 3 of them and probably 20 different chokes. I have shot every combo through these guns.

My all around favorite choke for my 1300's is a Truglo Mark Banser design. That said I have gotten a Bit better pattern from an Indian creek. The reason I stay with my banser is because I hunt with only a front bead and the Banser is centered perfectly were the IC was a bit low. The IC numbers were 260 in the 10" with Hevi 13 #6. That gun was the 22" barrel model. That is my best number so far with an average about 250. I also have never polished my barrel but have done a deep clean.

I have also gotten some great numbers with the Magblends somewhere in the 230's. For exact numbers I can pull out some of my targets and check.

sevetts

Win 6s or 5s and an undertaker choke might surprise ya

BOFF

.660 choke #7 Hevi Shot

God Bless,
David B.

tomstopper

Quote from: Tommythreetoes on February 09, 2014, 03:16:58 PM
Ended up buying a truglo gobble stopper choke for the 12 ga winchester 1300.  It's a .665.  It is a ported choke.  I was going to try the Federal FCW in 3" #6.  Any other choices for ammo out there that I should be looking at?  Once winter eases up, we will begin the test.  Recommendations?
This is the same choke that I have in mine & I have been shooting 3" size 6, Winchester Supremes from mine for years. That combo has killed a ton of birds for me over the years....

mikejd

Quote from: tomstopper on February 10, 2014, 07:32:50 AM
Quote from: Tommythreetoes on February 09, 2014, 03:16:58 PM
This is the same choke that I have in mine & I have been shooting 3" size 6, Winchester Supremes from mine for years. That combo has killed a ton of birds for me over the years....

Im with you tomstopper. Before the Hevi shot craze I killed more birds with winchester HV' s #4's and my 1300 22" barrel.
then all my hevi shot combined.

eddie234

mightyjoeyoung

Funny thing.  The guy asks for chokes/loads and says NO HEVI as he doesn't want to spend a ton of money on a gun that isn't his and more than 75% of the replies are "I shoot hevi, blah, blah, blah..."  To the OP, the choke you have should work well with the Federal FC wad loads, just like William said.  Another load you should be looking at is the New Winchester Longbeard lead loads.  They're putting up some rediculous patterns on every board I frequent and if you keep your shots ethical, like you should be, there isn't a turkey that wals that will survive a hit from either load inside of 40 yards. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: sevetts on February 09, 2014, 08:40:15 PM
Win 6s or 5s and an undertaker choke might surprise ya

This.  I have a 26" bbl, 1300 Universal hunter (one of 3 1300's) and I screwed in a TG Undertaker XT choke (mine mic'd .673") and never looked back.  An inexpensive choke that flat out patterns in that gun with a number of lead and yes, HTL loads.  She'll put up deadly numbers with XX pb 5's and I can't wait to see how she shoots with the new Longbeards. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.