OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got me a new turkey gun!

Started by Xcal1ber, November 26, 2013, 05:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xcal1ber

Stumbled on a barely used Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. I have been wanting a dedicated turkey gun, and this gun felt good and was a good price so I picked it up. I do have a few questions though. What do you all think of the 835? Seems everything I read on them has been good, and that these guns are just made to kill turkeys. Also what Choke/Shell combo has people been getting the best patterns out of? I have always used Hevi Shot shells so that's what I'll be using. Thanks guys!
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

chatterbox

I want to congratulate you on a great gun!
I own an 835, and I have a Truglo SSX .670 choke. I feed her Hevi-13 3-2-7's. This combo gets me right around 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. The pattern is very even, and will kill any turkey walking at normal ranges.
Personally, I wouldn't go into the turkey woods with any other gun.
Indian Creek, Pure Gold, SumToy, are all proven winners as far chokes go in the 835.
The only thing you can do is give them all a shot if you can. If you know guys with 835's, see if they have chokes you can try out. Might be able to save some money.
Best of luck with your new gun!

davisd9

Just like chatterbox I am a avid 835er.  In my opinion it is the best turkey hunting gun on the market.  It offers many great options for aftermarket improvements but with just a good choke and shells it is a pure killer.  I warn you not to get caught in the numbers game.  Most important thing is a good even pattern with numbers that give you a little fudge room for misjudging distances.  As Chatterbox also stated a Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Truglo SSX, and Primos Jellyhead is all excellent chokes to use.  I personally like heavier than lead shells, preferably #6s but shoot 7s with a more open choke.  The 835 will also pattern lead very well, I am a firm #5 lead guy.  I will link a couple of threads that I posted stating some upgrades that I thought improved the functionality of my 835.  This coming season will be my 3rd season with this 835 and she has 7 birds to her name.  Here is a current photo.  Good luck!

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,38870.msg389572.html#msg389572

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,27094.msg288173.html#msg288173
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Xcal1ber

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes I really like the way this gun feels, and the way it's built. I am a Hevi Shot shooter, so I will be trying the 6's, 7's, and Mag Blends. I will look at those chokes too. Probably start out with the SSX since they are cheap. Keep the comments coming fellers!

allaboutshooting

They are great turkey guns, proven in the field over many years.  I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore before patterning or taking it to the field.

I'd recommend that you shoot 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz of either #6 pr #7 shot. The Magnum Blend are also excellent but have a good bit more recoil. The standard shell will do all that's needed at any reasonable range, up to and including 40 yards.

Chokes are a matter of choice. There are different designs that work. Everyone has a favorite or one that works best in their gun. I've been shooting 835s, since they were introduced, also shoot the SSi-ONE (same bore) and a 935. There are a couple that work best for me but there are others that work as well.

Again, congratulations and good luck in the turkey woods.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Xcal1ber

What choke do you recommend Clark? I am thinking about going with the Truglo SSX first and seeing where I get with that. If I can get around 200 in the 10 at 40 with the Hevi 6's, or if I can get around 250+ with the 7's at 40 then I will be plenty content.

timberjack86

I just purchased a hevi shot choke tube for my 835. I shoot magnublends so we will see!

beagler

I shoot a Rhino (.695) in my 835 and get great patterns throwing both Nitro's and MagBlends.
Never Misses

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Xcal1ber on November 27, 2013, 07:14:35 PM
What choke do you recommend Clark? I am thinking about going with the Truglo SSX first and seeing where I get with that. If I can get around 200 in the 10 at 40 with the Hevi 6's, or if I can get around 250+ with the 7's at 40 then I will be plenty content.

That is what I'd recommend. You should be very happy with the SSX.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

surehuntsalot

been shooting 835's ever since they came out in the 80's
best patterning shotguns I have ever shot.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

the Ward

Great lookin' rig!Gobblers need to hide from the 835!     :OGturkeyhead:

TBab

As soon as my gun comes in Brian we will be on the patterning boards. I talked to William again and am going to order my Sumtoy next week. You've got a slick turkey slaying rig and we are going to have fun this Spring. 76 days until the opener big guy. Team 835 here in Southeastern KY.
Tbab
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: Xcal1ber on November 27, 2013, 07:14:35 PM
If I can get around 200 in the 10 at 40 with the Hevi 6's, or if I can get around 250+ with the 7's at 40 then I will be plenty content.

My 935 put up 208 Hevi 6s using a JellyHead.

Philippe

For lead shells, mine loved the Pure Gold .670 and TruGlo SSX
For Hevi shot it preferred the Star Dot and again the Pure Gold .670

Xcal1ber

Quote from: TBab on January 26, 2014, 03:42:24 AM
As soon as my gun comes in Brian we will be on the patterning boards. I talked to William again and am going to order my Sumtoy next week. You've got a slick turkey slaying rig and we are going to have fun this Spring. 76 days until the opener big guy. Team 835 here in Southeastern KY.
Tbab

Good deal! I'm getting pumped!