OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just joined the 10 guage club!

Started by the Ward, November 15, 2013, 03:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Well I just ran across a bps 10 stalker at a price I couldn't turn down and I just had to get it.I originally went to see if I could get  a Belgium a5 i had been looking at but  the guy who owned it wouldn't negotiate on the price(was on consignement at my local shop)I was looking around while i was there and low and behold I saw it,they had just gotten it in!We haggled a little on price and now I am the proud owner!I am so excited to get it,i had a blued and walnut one in the early 90s and always regretted letting it go.It is in super nice condition and came with a factory ported turkey choke.I mostly wanted it for waterfowl but I see a turkey in her future,too!Just wanted to share my good fortune and am looking forward to learning from you 10 guage fans!Will try and post up a pic later!....ward        :z-guntootsmiley:

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

WildTigerTrout

How long is the barrel on your BPS Stalker? I have one I bought new in 2001. It was a "Turkey Special" with a 24" barrel, factory installed Hi-Vis FO sights, sling swivel studs and a factory turkey X full choke. One word describes their capability as a turkey gun-AWESOME. Good luck with yours and enjoy. They really mow the turkeys over. LOL. :OGturkeyhead:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

the Ward

It has the 26" barrel length.It came with a factory xtra full ported choke that seems to measure about .715 i.d.Going to check around some shops today to see if I can find a choke for steel shot as our second split season comes back in nov 30.Going to try to get a stock ic or mod for now.Going to see what turkey loads I can find and shoot a couple patterns today with the factory turkey choke to see what it does and goe from there.I can see this is going to be a long term project for me for sure!Im starting to think  a ff3, mossy oak bottomland dip, the list goes on lol!First mod is to find a good recoil pad for the synthetic stock,the original one is hard as a rock!Any suggestions for one?Thanks for the replys guys,i will get some pics posted soon,i need my son to help me with it!.......... ward

the Ward

OUCH! Ran a few turkey loads out of her yesterday.Fed 3.5-2-4s( flite control wad) and I must say they kicked a lot more than I remember from 1991! The actual recoil wasn't that bad,it was the cheek pounding that sucked!My old bps had the wood stocks/blued and i don't remember it trying to eat my face,i'm guessing the sythetic stock has different diamensions?Going to have to solve that problem,Patterns looked pretty good with the stock turkey choke,Didn't do a # count  as it was just an impromptu shoot to try it out.Patterns were very even,and I think this load and choke with #5s or 6s would work well.I am contemplating a thin (1/8) piece of cheek eeze to see if that will help with the face beating.Will update when I shoot again....ward              :z-dizzy:

trkehunr93

I used a beartooth combraising kit, reduces the cheek slap immensely.  Worth every bit of the $19.99 I spent.

the Ward

Thanks for the tip!I was doing some investigating and it seems that the comb is too high for me,i am seeing too much rib and as a result I am forcing my face down hard on the stock which I think is resulting in the cheek slap.I have an old bell and Carlson synthetic stock for a bps 12 guage that I am in the process of fitting to it.It is a fiberglass version of the wood field stock.In order to fit it I have ground off the 12guage round locating  lug on the stock so it is flat like the 10 stock and then drilled a small hole for the locating roll pin protruding from the 10guage receiver.It works!The 12 guage stock matches the 10 receiver contour too!All I have left too do is ream the bolt hole a little and a little fine tuning and it's done.I have ground a slight bit of cast and drop into the stock so I have to open up the bolt hole a little as it binds slightly,other than that its good.Now im itching to get my hands on a thumbhole stock that Boyds makes for the bps!I will get some pics posted when I'm done.

the Ward

Ok the 12g stock is mostly fitted but on the backburner for the time being.I rasped and sanded the factory synthetic down a bit and it fits me good now.The problem was the previous owner had shortened the stock and that caused my face to contact the comb farther forward(and higher) causing the cheek slap.Now I have been looking at the new Ati collapsible pistol grip stocks and I am sure I can make one fit.So that is on my to do list after the holidays.Will update when I get started on it.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

the Ward

Thank you! will be trying it out on some geese here shortly,found a passel of mallards today so I'm taking the vinci instead this time as I'm dialed in with it.looking forward to playing with it after waterfowl goes out to get it setup for spring!     :feast: