OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.410 for turkeys

Started by 20ga.turkeyshooter, November 11, 2013, 04:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ga.turkeyshooter

i'm taking my little cousin hunting and he really wants to kill a turkey im letting him use my Rossi .410
e both have Ghillie suits so getting them within 30 yards shouldn't be a problem so all I really need to know is what kind of shell should I use
thanks

gwa

Please get an adult to help you out.

20ga.turkeyshooter

ive alrread asked my grandpa but hes never killed one with a .410 all we have killed is small game, dove, waterfowl, crows, quail, and pheasants so we have no idea what kind of shell to use I tested a Remington shell and it patterned horrible at 15 yards

20ga.turkeyshooter

Im bringing a 20 gauge if one wont come into range and i'll haft to help him cause it's not a youth model and he really wants to kill one by himself and if you're wondering my dad is coming but i'll be doing and helping everything he will just watch

allaboutshooting

Some states do not allow the .410 bore to be used for turkey hunting so be sure to check you regulations.

I would not use or recommend a .410 even if it is allowed. They have a very small payload of shot and I don't know of any turkey specific loads in .410.

The 20 gauge would be a much better choice and there are lots of loads available for it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

savduck

Some of the old time turkey greats killed turkeys with 410 and 7 shot. Kenny Morgan has over 500 to his name, many of which were killed with a 410.

I wouldnt recommend it with factory loads, however if you an get a hold of some tss and handloads some, it is a killing machine.

Check the pattern board section.
Georgia Boy

20ga.turkeyshooter

where can I get tss turkey loads

savduck

Georgia Boy

Old Gobbler

Frank Harben is well known to have killed over 500 Florida ( everglades area) turkeys with a . 410 - they are solid to 20 yards with the right lead load, if  you get a good combo your good for some extra yardage

Old Florida crackers loved hunting with 410's cause the sound of the shot didn't carry far , use your imagination on why they didn't want anyone to hear them..

Lovett Williams , another well known Florida turkey hunter in his own right...publicly wrote that he advised against using such a small gun to kill a gobbler

I have a Spanish top quality sxs 410 that I used for many years as a child for wing shooting , its a drop dead gorgeous piece of art , killed lots of game with it including doves and my first duck ( luck would have it , it was a canvasback ) but by the time I was 10 years old I was smart enough to start using a 20 ga. Fox -- I wouldn't willingly use a 410 on dove not to mention a 20 pound gobbler , one thing that you have to remember if that it is a small pattern and it shoots slow , if the wind is blowing just a little bit , your pattern will drift ...

When my son started turkey hunting , I had him using a  youth 20 game with dove loads , less hassle and more power -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon