turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Built my first pot call... still need some work

Started by turkeykiller22, November 11, 2013, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Hey guys, so I put together my first pot call a few weeks back. I made two, one is walnut and the other is poplar. Both of them are glass over glass. I found that both calls could kill a few turkeys, but they are no where near where I wanted them to be. When calling on them, to me they sound too deep. When purring, it sound as a gobbler purring, and not a hen. The yelps are very close to sounding where I want them, but I would like a little higher pitched...

My question is how much of a difference does the size of the hole in bottom of the call make? When comparing mine to other calls, mine are a lot larger in size.

My other question is would it be better for me to move the sound board closer to the playing surface. Would this make a bigger/better difference in pitch than changing the size of the holes?

Appreciate the tips and help! 
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

RizzardiCustomCalls

Congrats on your first pot call!  The depth of the pot could be a factor and will give you a lower or even hollow sound.  You didn't mention how deep your pot is, so I'm not sure if that's your problem.  The soundboard could make a slight difference in tone.  Here is a good starting point to work with and you can
adjust it as you wish....you should be able to fit a piece of glass between the soundboard and the playing surface.  If you lay 2 pieces of glass on the pedestal and then lay in your playing surface it should be a nice fit with very little gap between the glass. if you still have a big space between the glass, your pedestal is too low.  I don't think the size of the sound port holes is a factor with the high and low pitch.  My first thought would be the depth of the pot, and the soundboard placement.

outdoors

WOULD THE GAP BETWEEN THE SIDE AND SOUND BOARD MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH THE SOUND HOLES 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

pappy

There are many factors that could be giving you your sound, material is important because some resonate way better then others. Hang with the tighter grained woods with glass, although Walnut is often considered to be hardwood, it often softens the calls because of the open pore versus closed pore syndrome. As suggested lay two pieces of glass on top of your pedestal and use this as a guide to set your ledge, make it so the top piece of the two is flush with the ledge, this is always a great starting point, remember  one thing the closer the top of the sound board to the bottom of the striking surface the faster the sound is going to bounce, making it higher in pitch and sometimes it will rob you of any break. This is another good point about the height of your pedestal, use the 2 glass rule to set up your pedestal height. Now if you are still getting the muffled sound it is the overall depth of your pot, it may be too deep, average is a round 3/4" to 7/8" overall which should give you -1/8" from top of your ledge to the bottom of your pot. The you should have at least another 1/8" to 3/16" thick floor.....you see where this is going? Standard pots make standard sounds, so practice experimenting with the dimensions, you will be surprised how much 1/16" makes. As far as the portal hole in the center bottom...unless you are making dual sided calls, you really don't need one, there are many call makers who have super sweet pots without them, but if you delete this aspect then you have to figure out the exit holes for your sound to come out. I use a eight hole pattern that works for me on my single sided pots, using 3/8" and 1/4" holes alternating. The only thing I know that would make any difference is the O.D. size of your center hole may be robbing from the floor I.D. and make for a dead call. Hope this helps you out some, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206