OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 ga remington 870 mods

Started by 20ga.turkeyshooter, November 09, 2013, 04:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ga.turkeyshooter

I wondering what are the best mods for a 870 20 gauge ( I want to know stock, sights, loads, and chokes)
Thanks

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 20ga.turkeyshooter on November 09, 2013, 04:59:53 PM
I wondering what are the best mods for a 870 20 gauge ( I want to know stock, sights, loads, and chokes)
Thanks

There are lots of them and many folks with have an opinion on what is best. I can tell you what has worked best for Doris and me.

We use ATI AKITA adjustable hunter stocks. These stocks adjust from 12 3/8" to 14 3/8", have an adjustable comb and the best recoil pad I've seen. For an after-market stock that adjusts to fit the shooter in many different situations, these are the best that we've found.

We use either TRUGLO Pro-Series open sights or "dot" type sights. When we use a scope, we use Leupold, TRUGLO or BSA. We have several of each on our guns and all work well. They've all held up to hundreds of full power rounds over several years.

As far as chokes, it all depends upon which shell you intend to use but the SSX and JEB's are hard to beat. If you want to shoot Federal Heavyweight #7 shot or Hevi-13 #6 or #7 shot, we can't find better chokes than those.

Doris and I shoot hundreds of shells through our 20 gauge guns each year for both competition and hunting. Most of those shells are #6 shot Hevi-13s because we find them to work exceptionally well. They deliver killing patterns out to and including 40 yards, which is the longest distance we advocate shooting.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

As in the outside it is like Clark said you have a lot of different set ups to look at. 

Now as in barrel we have cut the forcing cone on some of them.  (It a little help)

Now for chokes you have a few to pick from.  Our 562-5 and have seen folks run the Truglow SSX. 

Folks have ran the IC but they are a little inconsistent in numbers.  (high/low)
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA