OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 20 Gauge

Started by jshively, March 10, 2011, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshively

I was thinking of getting one of these (seems that several on the thread like them) but have a question - does anyone also use the cantilever slug barrel for deer - and what are your opinions.  I hunt on a military base that only allows slugs for deer and the 12 gauge is killing my shoulder.

davisd9

I prefer a 20 gauge slug gun over a 12 any day.  Less recoil with more than enough knock down to spare.  It is also a lighter bullet so it will have less bullet drop at a further distances.  I give a 20 gauge slug gun two thumbs up, way up!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

R AJ

:z-winnersmiley: agree on th e 20 slug for recoil reduction and killability.

hookedspur

Quote from: davisd9 on March 10, 2011, 03:57:40 PM
I prefer a 20 gauge slug gun over a 12 any day.  Less recoil with more than enough knock down to spare.  It is also a lighter bullet so it will have less bullet drop at a further distances.  I give a 20 gauge slug gun two thumbs up, way up!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dawei

Quote from: jshively on March 10, 2011, 03:46:40 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these (seems that several on the thread like them) but have a question - does anyone also use the cantilever slug barrel for deer - and what are your opinions.  I hunt on a military base that only allows slugs for deer and the 12 gauge is killing my shoulder.
My research of the Mossberg® website reveals that the Mdl 500 cantilever slug barrel is only available in 12ga, not 20ga. I have a regular 20ga with a 26" Accu-Choke barrel and a 18½" Cyl Bore Security barrel. I use the short barrel w/Brenneke® slugs and it is super accurate w/just a peep sight and the brass bead out to 100yds. It's for sure a hell of a lot easier on my shoulder than any 12ga I have. If you buy THIS (#54282) you will be very well served indeed!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given