turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Prodigal Gun Returns--Ithaca NID Magnum 10 gauge

Started by gobblergls, October 19, 2013, 07:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

Ever have a gun you sold and you later regretted doing so?  Here's mine.  Last week I got it back after selling it 20 years or more ago to a buddy.  I traded him out of it after years of semi-begging for its return.  After seeing an ad in the Shotgun News, I bought the gun over 30 years ago from Thad Scott a recently departed gun dealer from Indianola, MS.  At the time, I paid too much for it.  Serial #500691 made in 1939.  NID 10 gauge, chambered for 3.5" shells.  Field grade with ejectors; 32" barrels.  I used it for turkeys but got tired of carrying it around.  So did my buddy.  I'd call it a safe queen, but it was more of a gorilla than a queen, and it being a hair under 11 lbs., there is nothing feminine about this brute.  I'm happy to get it back.  The Prodigal Gun returns with its hairline stock crack and non-factory pad.  Turkeybuster should remember this "blaster" from the past and the spectacular misses it generated from my shoulder.  In addition to the gun, I got back my old 10 gauge MEC Sizemaster, a sack full of hulls, powder, wads, etc.  I was also tickled to get back about 10  lbs. of lead #3 shot which is unobtanium these days.  I'll need to run down some primers and I'll be back in business with this old gun.  I plan on having a stock man glass bed the stock and add a reproduction Ithaca Sunburst pad on the butt.
When I hunted the gun, I shot a 2 1/8 oz. load of big shot out of the left barrel for far away birds and a spreader load of 2.5 oz. of #3 out of the right barrel for close shots. Over the years,  I've progressed through 12 gauges, 20s and spent last season carrying a 3 lbs., 9 oz. single-shot .410 (successfully).  Whether or not I tote the gun in the woods again ( I feel I will occasionally for old times' sake), I am very grateful to get the old gun back; my buddy was a good steward of it for two decades or more.   I feel like I've found a long lost child getting this one back. 

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spring Creek Calls

That would be a great duck gun while hunting from a blind. Wouldn't want to carry it far though.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

owlhoot

Pfitz

Thats slick, definitely one to hold on too. Thanks for sharing. :icon_thumright:

eman375

Ahhh, always nice to get and old family member back in the fold.  And just in time for Christmas!

gobblergls

Thanks, folks.  The stock man finished his work and I should have the receiver back in a week or two.

Quote from: eman375 on December 19, 2013, 01:15:46 AM
.  And just in time for Christmas!
, Jingle-Bang! jingle-bang!  Merry Christmas all! Gil