turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Owl hooter #1

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, October 18, 2013, 08:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YLPRTLK

I agree, sounds good and looks like a Harrison.

flydowntn

Yes. Looks and sounds like a Harrison Hooter.
S. P. Game Calls

catdaddy

The call is almost identical to my Hootin Stick from James Harrison.  Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. 

Houndstooth Game Calls

Lets see my call is a shorter owl hooter to start with, its angled totally from the mouth all the way to the end it has door knob angled end at exhaust with a one hole exhaust. I am sure this all derived from a bashing I took on a callmaker private group forum on FB where they wouldnt let me join and info was passed out about me by Mr. Harrisons liason wich was a game call component supplier that was relaying since Mr.Harrison did not have a FB account anymore but for some reason that post has been taken down for good lol. Thats real Classy, but I am big boy. Some of the post on the this thread are genuine and some are insinuation thats ok to as well theres more to this whole story aswell, where assumptions were made with out being professional and contact me before it was wrongly made public on my FB but being the bigger person I contacted them by phone wich I shouldnt have had to but I did. Theres only so many ways to shape a call or build a call I dont see where I have done anything wrong my grunt barrel is a smaller version of the top of the hooter but i couldnt make the swooping cut due to the bore. So I continuously angled the whole call and even used the same type groove for lanyard groove as in my grunt. I have seen more finger pointing by people about stuff  through forums and prostaffer arguments thats so senseless you did this you did that. I see calls all the time that have simularities on these forums but you dont here a thing about that its just when someone feels threatened that it comes out cause call is a jam up call. Its hilarious so for the ones thats actually interested in a hooter your welcome to call me about the call and for all the prostaffers and the people that are judging me "Get A Life".
1-205-561-8535
Lyle Gilbert :icon_thumright:

savduck

Wow, this post has gotten comical. So a man makes a flute style hooter and its a copy of a Harrison. What about the flute style hooters that came before the hoot stick. You know, Ron Clough and the Palmers. Harrison's "look" isn't that much different than those two. An extra hole, a Louisville slugger shape, and perhaps some tinkering with the bell of the call for back pressure.

I know the story behind Lyles design. Without a long drawn out story. It's not stolen or copied from Harrison. His prototype had wooden guts that started based off his mallard calls.His shape is based off his deer grunter.  His sound has been from his own tinkering and advise from Sadler McGraw who wanted Lyle to build him a hooter for competition. There have been probably 6 to 8 prototypes. If he was "stealing" Harrison's design why not just cut his call open and build the same thing, with a different look. No need for wasting time or money on prototypes.

Now does Lyle want his hooter to compare with Harrison...well absolutely. Harrison makes the best call out there right now. If your a call maker building calls don't you want to sound as good or better than the other calls on the market.
Georgia Boy

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

davisd9

I got two Harrison hooters, one brand new in the pack. Will sell them to anyone that wants them because this type crap makes me want the houndstooth hooter even more.

I know many callmakers have their groupies but at least be a little more knowledgable about a conversation before trying to say something about a call makers call.  As savduck said very well, harrison did not invent that style hooter, but yes it is the most popular one at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on December 16, 2013, 11:32:20 AM
Lets see my call is a shorter owl hooter to start with, its angled totally from the mouth all the way to the end it has door knob angled end at exhaust with a one hole exhaust. I am sure this all derived from a bashing I took on a callmaker private group forum on FB where they wouldnt let me join and info was passed out about me by Mr. Harrisons liason wich was a game call component supplier that was relaying since Mr.Harrison did not have a FB account anymore but for some reason that post has been taken down for good lol. Thats real Classy, but I am big boy. Some of the post on the this thread are genuine and some are insinuation thats ok to as well theres more to this whole story aswell, where assumptions were made with out being professional and contact me before it was wrongly made public on my FB but being the bigger person I contacted them by phone wich I shouldnt have had to but I did. Theres only so many ways to shape a call or build a call I dont see where I have done anything wrong my grunt barrel is a smaller version of the top of the hooter but i couldnt make the swooping cut due to the bore. So I continuously angled the whole call and even used the same type groove for lanyard groove as in my grunt. I have seen more finger pointing by people about stuff  through forums and prostaffer arguments thats so senseless you did this you did that. I see calls all the time that have simularities on these forums but you dont here a thing about that its just when someone feels threatened that it comes out cause call is a jam up call. Its hilarious so for the ones thats actually interested in a hooter your welcome to call me about the call and for all the prostaffers and the people that are judging me "Get A Life".
1-205-561-8535
Lyle Gilbert :icon_thumright:

Quote from: savduck on December 17, 2013, 07:09:50 AM
Wow, this post has gotten comical. So a man makes a flute style hooter and its a copy of a Harrison. What about the flute style hooters that came before the hoot stick. You know, Ron Clough and the Palmers. Harrison's "look" isn't that much different than those two. An extra hole, a Louisville slugger shape, and perhaps some tinkering with the bell of the call for back pressure.

I know the story behind Lyles design. Without a long drawn out story. It's not stolen or copied from Harrison. His prototype had wooden guts that started based off his mallard calls.His shape if based off his deer grunter.  His sound has been from his own tinkering and advise from Sadler McGraw who wanted Lyle to build him a hooter for competition. There have been probably 6 to 8 prototypes. If he was "stealing" Harrison's design why not just cut his call open and build the same thing, with a different look. No need for wasting time or money on prototypes.

Now does Lyle want his hooter to compare with Harrison...well absolutely. Harrison makes the best call out there right now. If your a call maker building calls don't you want to sound as good or better than the other calls on the market.

:icon_thumright: 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlface

I agree with Savduck this is comical !! Last week I was on here and seen Lyle's owl hooter post . I was impressed with the sound my concern was it looked like my hooter from the picture . As a call maker I take pride in my work and I am protective of it . I had a few people call me on it as well , I showed it to a few people as well and they agreed it looked like my hooters outside design . Now I've read all the post and we can argue till were all blue in the face about designs and who did what , everyone has there points . I called Lyle yesterday and we both voiced out thoughts and views on the hooters. I voiced my concerns and thoughts and Lyle voiced his and we worked it out . At the end of the call everything was fine and we both satisfied and worked everything out . As a call builder I take pride in my work and what i build . Am I passionate about my calls and what I do ? Yes I am every call maker is . If you have any questions just call me 314-971-2891
           James Harrison

outdoors

:icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:  HOUNDSTOOTH GAME CALLS.   :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Houndstooth Game Calls

James, called me yesterday twice about the matter and both agreed this was the end of this and he asked me to post on OG that it was over and after I had thought about it overnight about our conversation I felt like he should post wich I had planned to tell him that and he called again today but I couldnt talk due to being with landowners that I am doing some forestry work for. So I see he did post it and I think it was better for him to than me so thanks for doing that James. As for the fella that posted the matter on a FB page, I have sent him a message asking him to write a retracting statement on the private call builders forum to clear my name that my info was handed out to. Dont know if that will happen or not dont really care but feel that was the right thing to do on his part. So I hope this closes the book on this chapter. Done with it, lets move on!-LG

swampgobbler

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on December 17, 2013, 01:28:55 PM
James, called me yesterday twice about the matter and both agreed this was the end of this and he asked me to post on OG that it was over and after I had thought about it overnight about our conversation I felt like he should post wich I had planned to tell him that and he called again today but I couldnt talk due to being with landowners that I am doing some forestry work for. So I see he did post it and I think it was better for him to than me so thanks for doing that James. As for the fella that posted the matter on a FB page, I have sent him a message asking him to write a retracting statement on the private call builders forum to clear my name that my info was handed out to. Dont know if that will happen or not dont really care but feel that was the right thing to do on his part. So I hope this closes the book on this chapter. Done with it, lets move on!-LG

He did.  Glad to see everything is good. 

Wingboneman

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Stillbroke

Put me on the list. I want one. My goal is to kill the first bird of the season this year with all hand made, American made calls. Nothing from the big companies. Gonna buy my calls right here. Well all but one. I have an old Jet Slate that I will use for some tree talk but it's old and kinda qualifies.