News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good Long Range Rifle Scope

Started by gatrapper, October 18, 2013, 03:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

I need to upgrade the scope I have on my Howa 1500 .270. Right now I got some run of the mill 3x9x something Bushnell that I got years ago.

I need a scope that has good glass and has very good zoom. I have places where I hunt that I have shots easily over 400 yards. I doubt I'd ever take any that long, but even at 200 yards I would like something much better than a 3x9.

Thanks,
Trapper
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Skeeterbait

Well scopes and binoculars are a true example of the saying you get what you pay for.  The best glass is expensive and you can put several thousand into the best rifle scopes.  I could not swing that much but still wanted a higher end scope for my 300 WSM.  I wound up buying a Zeiss Conquest 4-14.  Since then they have changed them some and now offer a 3-15.  If I was going to buy today that is the way I would go.  I don't think I am a good enough marksman to realize the difference between the Conquest and their Victory lines.  Zeiss is one of the top lines of optics.

Deputy 14

I don't know what your price range is but I have a leupold vx3 4.5x14 on my 270 and would not trade it for any other scope. 4x is great up close and the 14x will get you out there quite a ways. Also the glass is top notch. I looked at zeiss and Swarovski scopes when I bought it and the Leupold was as clear and light gathering. Another plus is leupold has great customer service.

redarrow

Zeiss,Leica,Swarovski,would be a good place to start provided money isn't an issue.

gatrapper

Anyone have any experiance with Vortex scopes? I have had several people tell me they really like theirs.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: gatrapper on October 19, 2013, 11:58:18 AM
Anyone have any experiance with Vortex scopes? I have had several people tell me they really like theirs.

I know several guys running then on their competition rifles.  They seem to like them.

I am a Leupold guy myself. 

GSLAM95

If it's in the budget my first choice would be NightForce and then Swarovski.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

tomstopper

Quote from: vaturkey on October 19, 2013, 07:19:37 PM

Leupold  !!   :icon_thumright:
I have never had a problem with any of mine. Love them....

owlhoot

land cruiser

March, Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, zeiss

strutstopper

Another vote for the leupold vx3 4.5-14. I have one on my 7 mag and have zero complaints. Leupolds are the only scopes that I have on my guns.

Gamblinman

Zeiss..I have 4 of them. Excellent product and value.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Flydown

Quote from: GSLAM95 on October 19, 2013, 02:07:23 PM
If it's in the budget my first choice would be NightForce and then Swarovski.

Yep!