Started by BowBendr, September 28, 2013, 02:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

Ok guys, i'm the newest convert to the 20 club and here's what I have:

Rem. 870 youth - 21" bbl.
Burris FF2 - 336 mount
20 boxes of 3" Fed. HW 7's
- No choke -

I have read every 20 ga. 870 thread on this forum...I've looked at every picture...I used the search button 3,364 times and it seems as if there is no clear choice on a choke for this gun and shells. It is pretty much summed up by saying, "whatever works best in your gun".

It is clear that Sumtoy, Carlsons, TruLock, and the Rem. SF lead the way, but there is info and a picture for every one of these setups.....plus the SSX and IC.......... :-\

So many choices but I don't want to go choke broke like I did with my 12 til I found a Stardot....
But I know Sumtoy and TruLock will work with you to get the best choke for your gun.

If you we're a betting man, which 2 chokes would you go with 1st ? Or have I already answered my own question.....?

alloutdoors

As maybe the 2nd newest member of the 20ga club, I will offer the following advice. Just get a SumToy.

When I was setting up my M2 I wasn't interested in chasing numbers, I just wanted a no questions asked, dead at 40 every time pattern with some fudge factor built in if I misjudge the yardage slightly. A pellet count anywhere around 150 would have made me happy, which is what I told William when I talked to him. He said I could probably expect a little higher than that, which is exactly what I got. My gun seems to have settled in around the 160-170 range.

What I like about the SumToy is that even if it isn't "the best" out of any particular gun, based on what I've seen here it will still be plenty good enough.

chris30br

If ur going to shoot fed Hw Sumtoy all the way. There is not another choke made that will compete with Williams with federal Hw!!!! How can I say this? I shot 25 boxes of Hw out of the same lot# last year and I say year cause it took time to test all the chokes I had. And hands down the Sumtoy is the ticket. William has the 20 GA figured out. Now since then I have moved on to tss and will never look back. Why? Cause factory ammo is not consistant from lot to lot. Iv seen it to my times to even care to discuss. And Sumtoy is flawless with tss also.if and when find a lot of shells that ur gun likes and it is htl shot. Do your self a favor and by all you can possibly afford of that lot#. Best of luck and be safe!
Chris

savduck

Sumtoy 562-5. And if you want a second choke the truglo SSX
Georgia Boy

ncturkey

I have shot the Federal Heavyweight loads very little. The only choice I have shot it with was in my Remington 870 youth 21" with Down and Dirty choke in .560 made by Indian Creek. I was only getting around 130 in the 10" @ 40 yards. But I did have some better results with a different load and choke combo. PM me if you want some info. about my combo. I do not want to hijack your thread.

R AJ

The Sumtoy 562-5 is designed specifically for the federal HW 7s so you will have a choke to deliver on one purchase.

This choke will serve you well and last forever. After buying it shoot about 2 boxes of #8 field loads at cans, skeet,etc and then clean it and try your Fed HWs. 30 yards equals wipe out and plenty of shot at 40 using the HW7s.

Call 1-912-237-4360 to get yours.

BowBendr

Thanks for the replies guys.
While OG is a great platform for sharing knowledge, sometimes there can be too much to wade thru, causing a man to over think a situation. The 20 ga. remington is a great example of this. For every choke out there, somebody has put up a picture of a smoking pattern with the HW 7's.

I'll start with the sumtoy............. :icon_thumright:

gophert

You can't go wrong with Sumtoy.  It's hard to say which is the best for your gun until you shoot it.  My suggestion is to buy about 5 boxes of the same lot# when you buy the Fed HW and then find a choke that shoots that lot# well.  At least William will work with you, until you find close to what you want. 

I have 2 870's with 21" barrels.  They both shoot Indian Creek the best with my loads.  Believe it or not, those Indian Creeks shoot those federals very well.  If you can get 150 with the feds, I would stop wasting shells and call it a day.

3bailey3

Does anyone sell the hand loads on here?

gophert

Quote from: 3bailey3 on October 27, 2013, 07:28:26 PM
Does anyone sell the hand loads on here?

Not legal to do without the proper license.