OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

cocobolo trumpet finish

Started by larry9988, September 27, 2013, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

What finish do most of you use for cocobolo trumpets? Since the oil is so oily what works best?

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

RatherBeHunting

Larry,
For oily woods I wipe with acetone 1st then use a water based polycrylic (minwax). Anything oil base remains tacky for me. Hope this helps. 

larry9988

Thanks, guys. I tried some truoil and it has remained tacky for several days. I have never used ca finish before , but it may be time to learn. I will also look into the minwax.

misfire

Larry,
CA seems to scare some people, but it is actually an easy and very durable finish to use. I use thin CA, turn the lathe to its slowest speed, roll a small piece of paper towel and apply the glue to the towel. Then hold the towel to the wood and keep it moving down the call. Just keep reapplying till you achieve the desired finish. Speed the lathe back up kind of fast, lightly sand with 400gr, then 800gr. Stop lathe and orbital sand by hand with the 800. Turn lathe back on and polish with EEE or some fine polish and then you are done!!!! I can finish a trumpet in about 5 minutes
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

larry9988

Thanks Misfire, I am going to try it. Thanks again, Larry

muddpuppi

I use ca...deft...or teak oil an carnuba wax...depends on my mood...

larry9988

Old Gobbler

I put a " English " polish on cocobolo , I make up the compound via several components and use a stepped process of polishing it out -- the process is similar to the way European stock builders do a stock
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon