OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So How Many Chokes Do You actually Keep per Gun?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 19, 2013, 10:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

OK, so you tried 15 chokes in that there Tom Taker.  How many did you actually Keep?

I looked through my chokes, and I have a "set" for my 870.
.650-.655-.665-.675-.690-.700-.710-.720-.725

I have something similar for my INV+ BPS; except only one known Turkey choke, plus a Star Dot.
I have more of the non-Turkey chokes though.  I think of the BPS as being my "bird" gun.
.665-.700-.705-.710-.715-.720-.730-.735

The .665 choke in the BPS beats all of the Turkey chokes in the 870 with every load I've tried.  Therefore, I haven't experimented much with the BPS beyond that choke, and the Star Dot.

Deputy 14

Tried 6. Kept 1. I've got a lifetime worth of ammo to match the choke. Got the patterns I was after and left it at that.

stinkpickle

I keep most of them, and try them all out again after my favorite loads gets discontinued.   >:(   Gotta start reloading someday...

Longshanks

I try to settle on one choke for HTL and one for Pb for each gun. Then sell the rest and buy the best patterning ammo for that gun. Works pretty good.

ads1

I read the forums to get an idea of the chokes that get the most favorable responses for a particular brand of shotgun. Then I buy the top two or three chokes. I also quiz Clark regarding chokes for the gun I am patterning. I keep all of the chokes that I purchase. Indian Creek, Primos Jelly Head, TruGlo SSX, Kicks.
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mikejd

I keep them all. You never know when you would like to change loads or you may get another gun that takes that choke.

allaboutshooting

I keep way too many probably. I only get rid of them when there's no interest left in a particular model. A couple of years ago, I had a "fire sale" at the NWTF Convention and sold a bunch of chokes that no no one had inquired about in a while.

Otherwise, I keep several different models for many of the more popular guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mikejd

Nothing is better then when a friend or family member buys a new gun and I show up with 10 chokes to run through the new gun. I have saved many a friend a few bucks.

chatterbox

In my 835 I tried a SumToy, a PG, a JH, and an SSX.
Of all of them, the SSX threw the most even and consistant patterns, so that's the one I keptand sold the rest.
I bought a used IC that I thought was a factory choke, but come to find out I got screwed and it was a custom .650. Shoots lead 6's very well, but I don't dare shoot HTL through it due to the ED.
Now it sits in my shooting box gathering dust. A strong reminder to be VERY careful when buying a used choke tube.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotecustom .650. Shoots lead 6's very well

At least it's really good at something.  It's nice to have a strong Lead combo, just in case.  That sounds like a turkeyshoot choke you have there.  I have a custom .675 in RemChoke.  It's great with #4 Buck.  It would eat up a coyote.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I looked through my chokes, and I have a "set" for my 870.
.650-.655-.665-.675-.690-.700-.710-.720-.725

I have something similar for my INV+ BPS; except only one known Turkey choke, plus a Star Dot.
I have more of the non-Turkey chokes though.  I think of the BPS as being my "bird" gun.
.665-.700-.705-.710-.715-.720-.730-.735

The .665 choke in the BPS beats all of the Turkey chokes in the 870 with every load I've tried.  Therefore, I haven't experimented much with the BPS beyond that choke, and the Star Dot.