North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning maxus

Started by 29810434, September 12, 2013, 07:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone shooting the 3 1/2 inch maxus.What results have you had?What shells,chokes,etc.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 29810434 on September 12, 2013, 07:28:27 PM
Anyone shooting the 3 1/2 inch maxus.What results have you had?What shells,chokes,etc.

I've shot that gun quite a bit but mostly 2.75" sporting clays loads and 3" turkey loads. I'd recommend 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz. of either #6 (my favorite) or #7 shot. Most of my readers and my personal experience with that gun show best results with the JEB's turkey chokes and Hevi-13 turkey chokes for good even patterns with dense cores.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. Frankly, I had forgotten how well the Hevi-13 turkey chokes shoot in the Maxus. I appreciate the reminder CR.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CrustyRusty

I have the Maxus 3.5 All Purpose infinity camo version that is drilled and tapped with 26 inch barrel.  It is the best patterning shotgun I have ever owned!  Without any real workup, I bought a Hevi13 choke from Clark(as per his advice) and shot some Hevi 3.5 inch #6's that I had as well as #7's.  I got about 240 with the #6's and around 280-300 with the #7's if I recall correctly with a real even pattern.  I didnt find a need to test further after the results I got.

I like using the 6's as a good compromise of of size and power and with the numbers I got I dont feel a need to change anything.  The gun is light and handles perfectly, and I even shot a few rounds of trap with it and smoked the clays shooting as well as I do with my Beretta 682.

Its soft shooting, points and shoulders great and is a dream to carry.  I have or have had every major player in shotguns and this is my favorite for turkey so far.

CrustyRusty

I think I will start with the hevi-shot choke and various lead and hevi loads and see what happens.Thanks everbody for the info.