OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

whats your favorite tools?

Started by fletchy, July 20, 2013, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletchy

hey guys, whats your favorite tools for turning your pots?

Gobblerstopper

EWT mid-size Easy Rougher

99% of my turning is done with it.

Houndstooth Game Calls

fletchy

took you guys word for it and bought the ewt mid rougher. Kinda pricey but it came with a extra insert. (summer special). Thanks!

pappy

I have over 100 turning tools, from Sorby to Benjamins Best....and everything in between, even custom made with carbide tips, any one of them turn .... my favorite? Is a hand made custom chisel made by Sanatorium here on the site, square shafted heavy duty with a detail-er carbide tip.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Gobblerstopper

How do you like the EWT?

I have a couple of homemade carbide tipped tool also, but they seem to be a little more aggressive than the EWT.

swampgobbler

I bought a Things Western carbide tool years ago that did make turning a little easier, but I was ultimately not satisfied with its design.  The blade mounted flush to the tip of the handle causing me to have to take an extreme angle to keep the wood from rubbing against the end of the tool.  I bought one of the cheaper EWT with the round blade and it is substantially better.  The blade seems to cut smoother as well and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  It's not a "do-all" tool, but does see constant action in my shop. 

pappy

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2085204/39585/Sorby-Handled-TurnMaster-w3-HSS-Cutters.aspx
I bought one of these at Nashville last February, it has never left the bag it came in. I thought I wanted it, but in all honesty, I am just used to turning with what I have been using for years....call me stubborn.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

fletchy

Thanks guys, I bought the ewt mid size rougher and love it! I can turn the whole pot with it with no problems if I have good wood. Thanks again!