turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10ga brush for 835?

Started by cjordan, July 06, 2013, 01:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjordan

Guys this may be a crazy question, or it may have been asked before, and I just cant find it on here. I need to order a few 10ga brushes for my 835. I've looked in the stores around here, but all they have are 12ga brushes, I seen a few packages that said 12ga-10ga but nothing that said 10ga. I figure I will order them from Brownells since I need some more Kroil, and I might as well pick up some more bore brite while I'm ordering as well. The 12ga brushes I've bought from Academy were the Hopps brand brushes, and they seem kind of "soft- flimsy". While looking on Brownells site I noticed they have quiet a few different brands of brushes. Now I'm not trying to get picky or be perfect, but if I have to order, I want to do it right the first time. So here's the question. Which brand of brush do you suggest, or is it a 6 one way half a dozen the other kind of thing? Thanks for your time and help

ShotGunSniper

Why do you want a 10 gauge brush for a 12 gauge? I know that 835's have overbored barrel's but not enough to make a big differance, imo. I just bought a brand now bore brush for my 835 yesterday. Found it at Wal Mart. It's Outer's bore brush for 10-12 gauge. It worked perfect.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

cjordan

Quote from: ShotGunSniper on July 06, 2013, 06:08:48 PM
Why do you want a 10 gauge brush for a 12 gauge? I know that 835's have overbored barrel's but not enough to make a big differance, imo. I just bought a brand now bore brush for my 835 yesterday. Found it at Wal Mart. It's Outer's bore brush for 10-12 gauge. It worked perfect.
everything I've read says to use a 10ga brush for the 835-935. I have been using a 12ga brush so far, and at first it's alright, but it dosnt take long to wear down.

ShotGunSniper

Quote from: cjordan on July 06, 2013, 06:25:41 PM
everything I've read says to use a 10ga brush for the 835-935. I have been using a 12ga brush so far, and at first it's alright, but it dosnt take long to wear down.

Well the good thing about these Outer's bore brushes from 10-12 gauge's, they are cheap. You can buy many if you use brushes that much. But yeah, you are right on about tryin to find 10 gauge brushes. You dont see them as much as you do 12 gauge. I believe this is why Outers made these 10-12 gauge brushes for. For overbored 12 gauges.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

Skeeterbait

Yes, use 10 ga brushes in your 835.  I use the Dewey No-Harm brushes and order them from Midwayusa.  While your at it get yourself a 10 ga bore snake.  I use the bore snake durring the season without removing the barrel since I shoot receiver mounted optics.  Then after the season I remove the barrel and give it a through cleaning including brushing by chucking the rod in a drill.  I repolish with the Scotchbrite,Kroil,J&B process every third year.

cjordan

I went ahead and ordered some 10ga brushes, but I think next time im in town I will pick up some of those 10ga-12ga brushes and give em a try.

ShotGunSniper

Quote from: Skeeterbait on July 06, 2013, 10:00:26 PM
Yes, use 10 ga brushes in your 835.  I use the Dewey No-Harm brushes and order them from Midwayusa.  While your at it get yourself a 10 ga bore snake.  I use the bore snake durring the season without removing the barrel since I shoot receiver mounted optics.  Then after the season I remove the barrel and give it a through cleaning including brushing by chucking the rod in a drill.  I repolish with the Scotchbrite,Kroil,J&B process every third year.

10 gauge bore snake, I never thought about that, myself. I use the Venom bore snake and it's pretty tight fitting. I also might have to buy a 10 gauge boresnake.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

Rockhound

An 835 has the same exact bore diameter as a browning 10 gauge

allaboutshooting

Quote from: cjordan on July 06, 2013, 01:23:01 PM
Guys this may be a crazy question, or it may have been asked before, and I just cant find it on here. I need to order a few 10ga brushes for my 835. I've looked in the stores around here, but all they have are 12ga brushes, I seen a few packages that said 12ga-10ga but nothing that said 10ga. I figure I will order them from Brownells since I need some more Kroil, and I might as well pick up some more bore brite while I'm ordering as well. The 12ga brushes I've bought from Academy were the Hopps brand brushes, and they seem kind of "soft- flimsy". While looking on Brownells site I noticed they have quiet a few different brands of brushes. Now I'm not trying to get picky or be perfect, but if I have to order, I want to do it right the first time. So here's the question. Which brand of brush do you suggest, or is it a 6 one way half a dozen the other kind of thing? Thanks for your time and help

A lot of my readers order the 12 gauge chamber brushes for their overbored Mossberg and Browning guns. They work very well and they are much tougher than the ones you buy at the box stores.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ShotGunSniper

Quote from: Rockhound on July 07, 2013, 08:17:53 AM

An 835 has the same exact bore diameter as a browning 10 gauge

Yeah, I knew the 835's had a 10 gauge bore diameter. I don't know why I asked him that, knowing it was an overbored 12 gauge..lol. I just made myself sound stupid, there..hahaha!!

Btw, I found some extremely heavy duty 10-12 gauge bore brushes that you could not bend, even if you tryed. I will try to get some pics of them. See if anyone knows what brand they could be. I do know, they are over 6 years old. And looks like they are in good condition, imo. I was going to use them on my 835 but they will not fit on none of my rods. Now cjorden, if I find out what they are, they would be great to find. I mean, they are extreme.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag