OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black aluminum conditioning ???

Started by TarheelTurk, June 04, 2013, 11:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarheelTurk

I've searched the forum for the answer and came up with some possible answers. However, I still would like to ask you guys before I decide. I decided to recently try a piece of the black anodized aluminum. Well guys I need to know how to condition it because only one of my strikers come close to running on it ??? I wiped it with alcohol pad but no help there. LIGHTLY scuffed it w/ a green scotch Brite , that seemed to help but I stopped before I done it anymore because I wanted to ask some of y'all on here what to do ? The aluminum calls I have sold in the past were the bead blasted " frying pan" style and the alcohol pads worked great on those but this aluminum is different , Thanks for any and all help y'all !! Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

lightsoutcalls

If it is not powder blasted, you will have to use some type of abrasive on it.  Green scotchbrite is about the least abrasive conditioner that I am aware of.  Be warned that the anodizing (color) on the surface will eventually wear off when abrasives are used on it.  You might also try using rainchalk after initially using scotchbrite. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

Thanks Wendell. It's not the blasted aluminum. So I will try the scotch Brite a lil more man.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TarheelTurk

eddie234

All ive ever used on mine was an alcohol wipe. I use a dymondwood striker. Have you tried scuffing the striker?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

WillowRidgeCalls

Anodized alum can be a pain in the butt to get to play. It depends on who did the anodizing on it? I've gotten some that play fantastic and the next batch won't play at all. I've tried alcohol, scotch brite pads, emery paper, sandpaper, steelwool, dawn dish soap, and vinegar on them. If they are an anodized surface I've found the best was to wipe it down with vinegar and let dry, then clean it with alcohol wipes. Vinegar has an acid in it that etches into the anodizing, then wipe it down with an alcohol pad to clean it good. Make sure your striker tips are clean, I use 100 grit sandpaper to clean them with because it scufs the tips up good. Try it before you use any course scuffing paper on it?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

TarheelTurk

I been using 120 drywall screen on the striker/s tips, I will try the vinegar also before I scuff it, It won't hurt. Thanks a bunch.

TarheelTurk

Vinegar helped but I ended up ever so lightly running across it w/ the ScotchBrite and now it plays like a champ!! Thanks for everyone's advice I appreciate it a bunch y'all!

king strut

I have used 220 grit Aluminum Oxide for 15 yrs. at 30 psi and it must work good enough for the NWTF to give me a first place for an aluminum call this year in the hunting division.

Gobblerjim

I have a green anodized aluminum from halloran. It took me awhile to figure it out. Keeping the surface real clean and using a scotch brite.

pappy

scotch brite is the answer. and keeping the striker tip clean is a must. another trick would be to use a lighter flame on the aluminum to dry out any grease or salt build up on the surface, just don't bar-b-que it...LOL
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206