OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to know when your ready to start selling

Started by brandonmacd1, June 01, 2013, 03:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonmacd1

I started hand carving some boxes a while back and turning a few pots. How do you know when your calls are up to par to start trying to sell them. They all sound good to me and everybody I know but I don't want to start trying to sell calls that aren't good enough to sell.

Terry

Send me one to sample and I will let you know :D

WillowRidgeCalls

What sounds good to one person may not sound worth a dang to someone else? That's where your field testing take charge. If your calling birds in regularly with your calls every year, every week, every day then they are worth putting on the market, if they are made well and perform well. If you can't call a bird in then they still need some work. What we hear and what the birds hear are two completely different subjects. You all so need to know how to build a call that matches the sounds a customer is looking for, otherwise you narrow your sales to certain people only. If your building show calls, then everything has to do with looks, and a little bit in sound, but looks are very important.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

larry9988

Get some calls into the hands of some accomplished call makers that make your types of calls and get some feedback. Visit some of these call makers at that homes and let them play your calls. It is best not to start selling calls until you do so. The last thing you want to do is to start selling calls before the are good quality because that reputation can follow you. I have visited many call makers at their homes and they have been very helpful. Contact them first, tell them your intentions then go make some new friends and enjoy the hobby. Sometimes when you put too much pressure on yourself to sell calls, you loose some of the joy of call making.

brandonmacd1

Thanks for the advice guys. I know they called turkeys in for me and a few friends near the end of the season here but I will definitely be trying to find and get with some guys somewhere around me for advice.

WillowRidgeCalls

Also try entering some calls in some of the smaller call shows and see how well they do against other calls out there. If your getting good scores that tells you people are liking them.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

pappy

Feedback is the most important way of knowing if your calls are ready for the public at a price. I sent out many a call to call makers, for their opinion and advice on what needed to be dine to insure they would be somewhat successful at a price level that wold make me and the customer happy. Pics would be nice to see your work. But, let me say one more thing, I sold many a call at way under its value before I cold see any kind of a profit, just to get calls out there....so be prepared to do the same...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206