turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge build from a single shot

Started by VAarrowslinger, May 30, 2013, 10:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAarrowslinger

has anyone ever converted a new england single shot 20 into a turkey rig? if so, how do you feel now about what you did? I've got my eye on a inexpensive 20 gauge with mod barrel. I'm think of buying this gun and having the barrel drilled for a choke system, installing a rob roberts or sumtoy, dipping the dun in camo and working the trigger...is it worth while?

howl

They make 'em with screw-in chokes at the factory.

redarrow

I hope to build a .410 this summer. Pretty much the same as your thinking.

mad815

I own 3 turkey shotguns and this is the one I hunt with the most.   I bought it as a 12 ga. and sent the receiver back to  H&R  to have the 20ga. tube put on with a screw in choke .   I have 3 tubes for this gun-- Standard 12ga full---  12 ga. Screw in choke -- 20 ga. screw in choke.   It takes the same chokes as Mossberg.   With my set up I have no problem with lethal patterns at 40 yards.   Great utility gun.       Web

SumToy

We have did a few of them.  Just thread and tap for sight then blast away.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mnbeardbuster

Quote from: mad815 on May 31, 2013, 07:23:57 AM
  I own 3 turkey shotguns and this is the one I hunt with the most.   I bought it as a 12 ga. and sent the receiver back to  H&R  to have the 20ga. tube put on with a screw in choke .   I have 3 tubes for this gun-- Standard 12ga full---  12 ga. Screw in choke -- 20 ga. screw in choke.   It takes the same chokes as Mossberg.   With my set up I have no problem with lethal patterns at 40 yards.   Great utility gun.       Web

Can I ask what choke you are using are your 20ga?  I have 3 H&R 12ga rigs.  I going to send one of them back to Remington to add the 20ga 28" vent barrell and am looking for a  starting point for a good choke for that barrel.

I agree with Sumtoy.  Thread and tap the plain barrels.  I have this setup for my daughter.  Shooting Hevi 7 thru a Pure Gold .555.

mad815

I first used the Undertaker Choke  ( Photo ) with Federal Flite Control #7 Heavyweight and did shoot Toms with no problem. This year I screwed in a Mossberg flush full choke and it shot a very good at 40 yards with flite control #7 Heavyweights.   At this point I'm very happy with the full choke set up .   Just guessing , but sending the 20ga. tube out to be threaded may result in a lighter package than putting the Vent tube on from the factory. The Vent 20ga. I got is a  heavy tube.  Either way you will find that these 20ga. with the right set up are Turkey Killers.  Good luck--- Web   

gwa

mad815

I will try to weigh it soon and post it .  Web

surehuntsalot

Quote from: mad815 on May 31, 2013, 07:23:57 AM

that is one fine looking turkey set up right there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

I like that gun.  read somewhere sumtoy threads for chokes cheap? Seen some nice paint jobs fellas did themselves also.

Hayudog

I went the hammerless direction.  A Baikal single 20.  Came as a 3" full choke gun.  Shoots TSS and the Federal HW real well.  Also have picked up a couple of Savage 220's in 20 gauge.  Picture at bottom shows its pattern with TSS 9's at about 40 yards with the straight choke, I think it mic'd out at about .580..

Baikal that had barrel and choke work done by  Sumtoy  - .562-5   You may need to scroll to see the tube.

Baikal 20 with Burris and Marlin 336 base.

Savage 220 20 ga 1 5/16 TSS, 2 3/4" shell.

gotcha

Here is my Hand R 20.I had Colonial Arms in Alabama thread barrel {remchoke}to accept a PG .570.I put a synthetic stock on it and used a couple cans of Fusion plastic paint.I use Federal heavyweight 7's.I love it and feel no disadvantage compared to my 12 870 except only having 1 shot.