OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 gauge side by side

Started by mudcreek, May 27, 2013, 09:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudcreek

I am looking to build another 20 in a side by side to go with my pump. Just because.  Must have screw in chokes of course, and a 3 inch chamber. Not really sure whats out there. Suggestions, any one?

gobblergls

Yildiz makes a 5.2 lbs. SxS with allow receiver.  It has a single select trigger.  CZ Bobwhite has double trigger with a weight of 6.5 lbs.  Issue with doubles is having same poi.  CZ has screw ins. Not sure about Yildiz.  Yildiz is availabe at Academy Outdoor Sports, walk-in only.  I know a man who set up his Yildiz with Sumtoy chokes and Red dot.  Had trouble with POI because barrels weren't properly factory regulated.  Had to  have Briley make eccentric chokes.  He shoots hand loaded TSS.  If it were me, I'd drop down to 28 gauge and hand loaded 1 5/16 oz. TSS 9s.  Gun weight is 5 lbs, 5 oz.  I have one, but it's not set up for turkeys.  Some folks don't like straight stocks, however.  It has screw in chokes.

CrustyRusty

CZ is probably the best option for a decent quality sxs that has tubes.  I have a Ringneck that has a single trigger and its been a great gun, but for turkey I think I would prefer the double triggers for quick choke selection with two different choke tubes installed.

I wish I could use my citori 28 ga, but I cant in NY.  We can only use 20 or 12's and no shot smaller than 8.

gobblergls

Top gun is the Yildiz 20 I mentioned.  Bottom gauge is a slick looking and deadly 28 gauge CZ bobwhite, dipped, and with rifle sights on the rib.  These guns are owned by others.

thundrchikin

I have a CZ Ringneck that I love. I have Trulock Mod. in one barrel and Trulock X-full in the other.

surehuntsalot

I really like the looks of that CZ 28ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

Bud's Gun Shop carries the USSG (Baikal) SXS 20 ga w/ various barrel lengths. I have a double trigger version in 26" bbls. that has Sumtoy 562-3 and 562-5 chokes. One usually has lead and the other a Fed HW #7 3" shell in it. There is some trigger creep and I wish that the front trigger was 1/4-1/2 " closer but not a problem really .
These guns are not that expensive but they lock up tight and are rugged guns that will serve well in the woods or pickup.

It carries easily and recoil is not bad at all.

Hayudog

Just bought a 20 ga Stevens 311A in 2 3/4" off Gunbroker.  It should go into the mail today.  Had bid on a 28 ga but came up short.  Lucked out with my Savage 220 shooting well with the straight choked barrel with a 2 3/4" shell of TSS.  I have an extra 220 barrel for that 20 that the plan is to send to Sumtoy for a choke tube and 3" chamber work.  I'll put a FFIII on it and camo it.

We'll see how the Stevens SXS goes.  Seems that  guys running TSS have made turkey killing machines out of the small gauge guns.  I think my next out lay of "money she don't know about" is a 28 ga.

BrowningGuy88

I have CZ SxS's in both 20 and 28 gauge. Double Trigger guns. With Carlson's chokes, the 20 shoots Hevi 6's and Winchester 5's to POA with both barrels.

dawei

Quote from: RAJ on June 02, 2013, 11:42:42 PM
Bud's Gun Shop carries the USSG (Baikal) SXS 20 ga w/ various barrel lengths. I have a double trigger version in 26" bbls. that has Sumtoy 562-3 and 562-5 chokes. One usually has lead and the other a Fed HW #7 3" shell in it. There is some trigger creep and I wish that the front trigger was 1/4-1/2 " closer but not a problem really .
These guns are not that expensive but they lock up tight and are rugged guns that will serve well in the woods or pickup.

It carries easily and recoil is not bad at all.
I have to fully concur with Robert's observations. Using the same gun, with the Remington® Nitro-Turkey™ 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz of #5 Pb (#NT20M5)loads; and Colonial Arms® .575 & .570" chokes, IT IS A TURKEY KILLER SUPREME!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given