OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Gun Help Needed

Started by NYLimbHanger, May 25, 2013, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim570

Two years ago, I set up my son's 935 and the 835 I bought for turkey.  I didn't have much experience with turkey guns.  Put an Indian Creek .675 on the 935 and got a Pure Gold .670 for the 835.  Deep cleaned both barrels and put Burris FF II's on both guns.  Using Hevi 13 3.5" #7 shot, one of them (think it was the 935) shot 344 in the ten inch at a lazered 40 yards.  The other shot almost that well.

I like the 835 because it is lighter to carry and has a great trigger.  When shooting such tight patterns, I think some kind of red dot or scope and a good trigger will give the shooter more of an advantage.

captin_hook

Can't go wrong with a 870. Put a decent choke in er, some hevi 6s or 7s and your all set. :welcomeOG:

mikejd

Quote from: NYLimbHanger on May 26, 2013, 08:06:57 AM
Thank you all for your insight clark I will send you a pm regarding your deep clean methods to ensure I am keeping it in tip top shooting performance. My budget I don't know where I really sit with it lol I want it reasonable so I would say under thousand all set up and ready for the woods as I am ok with putting the money out there for a gun that I want to last my hunting career. I hadn't thought about going to shops to put the gun in my hand and feel it and find what fits me as I will look into that.

The more I think about this gun I am thinking I want it to be semi auto is where I am leaning toward as that was what I learned to shoot and feel that is more my comfort level also it's a pain to find a left handed gun anywhere but online.

Thank you everyone who has given input I really appreciate it as I will continue to look into narrowing down my next gun with everyone's input to help me there.

mikejd I hunt Washington, Saratoga, Schenectady, Montgomery, Fulton and Schoharie Counties

Cool I hunt up in Essex and Madison and Chenango.

davisd9

835 has been great to me!

Find the gun that fits you best.  The mossbergs and remingtons are great guns and easy to set up as great turkey killers. I personally would only buy a used Remington but that is a conversation all on its own. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

NYLimbHanger

Thank you to all who have gave me information in my search for a new gun as I have heard nothing but positive things regarding each gun however, without trying to turn this post negative if their are any problems with the guns that anyone has recommended or glitches for that matter if you could share them with me I would greatly appreciate it.
Hunting till noon that's all I get!

chatterbox

Quote from: NYLimbHanger on May 28, 2013, 03:21:15 PM
Thank you to all who have gave me information in my search for a new gun as I have heard nothing but positive things regarding each gun however, without trying to turn this post negative if their are any problems with the guns that anyone has recommended or glitches for that matter if you could share them with me I would greatly appreciate it.
I don't think you will find any issues with either the Mossy or the Remmy. Some people complain about the forearm on the 835 rattling, but I don't find it to be an issue.
Both guns are built are like tanks, and are serious work horses.

CrustyRusty

Hey NY...I will post some of my observations regarding some weapons that I have owned and the issues I didnt care for with them.

Mossberg 835...somewhat heavy and they rattle.  I dont like my guns to rattle, so whenever I can I buy a semiauto now.

Remington...honestly, I cant think of any issues with them.  The express models have had some finish issues, but the funcionality of the guns is good.  Some of the earlier super magnums had some ftf/fte issues but I believe they have been worked out.  My only personal issue is that I am left handed and its nice to have a gun that is better suited to ambi use.  Still have my police issued model and is my favorite gun of all times, but for sentimental reasons.

Remington 1187...reliabilty issues from my and several buddies guns...will not buy a remmy semiauto

Mossberg 935...does not shoot low base target rounds well.  Not a problem if you are making this a dedicated turkey/predator gun.  Fit and finish is okay, the forearm fit is a bit sloppy and loose.  Reliability is good, but there have been reported problems.  Gun is a bit heavy.

Beretta extrema2...nice shotgun but a bit heavy also, scope mount system sucks if you want to mount a scope or red dot, the clamp on mount gets loose easily.  In my personal gun, I did not like the way it patterned.

Browning BPS...really nice pump gun, patterns great.  Gun is heavy but that helps with felt recoil.  For a dedicated turkey pump shotgun, this is my favorite.  I still have a 20 ga model that my daughter/grandchildren use.  Fit and finish is top notch.

Benelli SBE2...quality gun but expensive.  Can be a pain to pattern well but they are very reliable.

Browning Maxus...the vent rib is an odd shape and design, so putting aftermarket sights on it can be a pain.  I have a drilled and tapped model but wont put a scope on it because the Browning finishes are soft in my opinion and scratch easily.  My buddy has a Gold NWTF model with a scope and mount and the finish wore down to the bare metal.  The Gold is heavy and clunky, but a fine shotgun for turkey hunting however.

The Maxus is the best patterning shotgun I have ever owned.  If you want a light shotgun that shoots great, realizing that you probaly can only use a front bead or magnet front sight, then this is a great turkey shotgun.  The black models are reasonably priced but still around a grand.

Having said all this, and owning many more shotguns than what I listed, I would still probably get the 935 because of price and performance if I was on a budget if I was getting a dedicated turkey hunting shotgun.  Hope this helps...Russ

davisd9

Only problem I have had with the 835 is when I put a scope on it.  The safety was difficult to use but fixed the problem easily but putting a tactical safety on it. Works like a charm.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer