turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Gun Help Needed

Started by NYLimbHanger, May 25, 2013, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYLimbHanger

Hello everyone as I am a new to this forum wanted to say hi first. New York's spring turkey season is wrapping up I am looking to get a turkey gun here before next season and was wondering what reviews people could give me and to their preferred gun set up. I am interested in everyone's replies as I haven't been hunting long and haven't really had anyone guide me in the right direction in setting up a turkey gun just kind of threw things together to make it work. Thank you all in advance and I will continue to read through the old posts to also educate myself more.
Hunting till noon that's all I get!

Old Gobbler

what do you use right now? its possible it could be souped up to be a very respectable turkey gun --Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

NYLimbHanger

I currently am using a Benelli Nova with a Clarkson .665 choke, tru-glo red dot, and Winchester 3 1/2 XX Supreme 4 shot. the gun isn't mine its my brothers that I started using was stock with just a modified choke. That is why I am looking for some help as to purchasing my first bird gun thank you shannon

allaboutshooting

First of all welcome to OG. You'll find this to be a friendly place and a place with folks who will want to be of help to you. Hunters here have a wide range of experience and will share what has worked for us and hopefully armed with that information, you will be able to make a better decision of what can work for you.

I've been hunting turkeys for a long time now and I also compete in the sport of still target shooting which has its origins in turkey hunting. That has allowed me to see how many different guns and chokes perform over an extended period of time.

Much really depends on what gun feels right to you and is within your budget. Shells and chokes are sometimes a matter of discussion of course but a lot comes down to the conditions in which you hunt.

Just to get things started, I normally recommend a gun with a 26" or longer barrel, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 835 can be a good choice and I recommend 3" Hevi-13 shotshells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. There are several popular turkey chokes that work well and you'll hear from folks who use and recommend most of them. I know the ones that work best in my guns and those of my readers and can share that information with you.

Lastly, as Shannon said, it would be good to know what you're using currently. You may have all that you need and maybe with a little "tweak" here and there, you can be on top of the game. I do have one process that I recommend, regardless of what kind of gun you're using because it helps them all. I recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of your shotgun. It costs little, just some time and effort but the results can be outstanding.

Again, we're glad you're here and look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

Clark gave you some excellent advice!
I shoot a Mossberg 835 with a limbsaver recoil pad topped with a Burris Fast Fire III, and choked with a Truglo SSX .670. I shoot Hevi-13 3-2-7, and get right around 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.
I am very pleased with my setup, as my numbers may not be huge, but there are no large gaps in my patterns either.
The Remington 870, is also an excellent choice, and alot of guys have great success when the pair the Remingtons with Primos Jellyhead chokes.
Bottom line, there are many, many good guns out there. However, I believe if you are looking for proven slayers, look no further than the Mossy 835, or the Remington 870.

SCDieselDawg

Rem 870 with a Hevi-choke and magnum blends

Or

Mossy. 835 with SSX pushing lead 5s

eddie234

I have a Winchester 1300 21" barrel. Got it at the local pawn shop for $150.00. I'm currently using the heavy shot choke and hevi 13 3" #6's. the turkey I got this year was every bit of 40. Yards.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/eddie234/IMG_20130513_062146_zps9d5516d7.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

mikejd

:welcomeOG: also what part of NY are you hunting as there are a bunch of us here.

I am going to be a bit vague here even though I have my preferences in turkey guns and chokes as I happen to be a choke junkie and love to try new ones.
With all of the incredible choke options and ammo out there I believe that we can get almost any turkey gun out to give you outstanding patterns. That said I would pick a gun that feels great in your hands and shoulders well. I believe that barrel length is not even relevant as i have lengths that range from 18"-26" and yes you can raise your numbers with the longer barrels I can still easily put over 200#6's with an 18".
so back to my first statement go feel a bunch of guns and see which one fits you best. you have plenty of time before next May 1st so take your time and feel them all. After you find the most comfortable we can tune it in for you.
Good luck. and finding a new turkey gun can be alot of fun.

Terry

surehuntsalot

Mossberg 500 or 835 would be my choice
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ccleroy

CrustyRusty

Whats your price range NYLimbhanger?  For a reasonable setup...a Mossberg 835 is a great choice, or an 870.  Moving up a bit in price is a Browning BPS.  All are a great choice in pump guns.  Gotta go feelum up to see what you like best.

But, if you wanted a semiauto it would be hard to beat a mossy 935 for a little more than the 835 or 870.

I personally carry my Maxus mostly now with just a hiviz bead on mine.  Its light and handy and is the best patterning gun I have owned to date, but they are a bit expensive. 

There are tons of choices out there, but feel is very important as most shotguns can be made to shoot well.

NYLimbHanger

Thank you all for your insight clark I will send you a pm regarding your deep clean methods to ensure I am keeping it in tip top shooting performance. My budget I don't know where I really sit with it lol I want it reasonable so I would say under thousand all set up and ready for the woods as I am ok with putting the money out there for a gun that I want to last my hunting career. I hadn't thought about going to shops to put the gun in my hand and feel it and find what fits me as I will look into that.

The more I think about this gun I am thinking I want it to be semi auto is where I am leaning toward as that was what I learned to shoot and feel that is more my comfort level also it's a pain to find a left handed gun anywhere but online.

Thank you everyone who has given input I really appreciate it as I will continue to look into narrowing down my next gun with everyone's input to help me there.

mikejd I hunt Washington, Saratoga, Schenectady, Montgomery, Fulton and Schoharie Counties

vt35mag

Mossberg 935

Tang safety so it works with left and right handed shooters, and it is gas operated which helps reduce recoil.

CrustyRusty

And you should be able to get that with a nice red dot for about a grand...and like vt35 said, the top safety is great for us lefties!!

Quote from: vt35mag on May 26, 2013, 10:57:08 AM
Mossberg 935

Tang safety so it works with left and right handed shooters, and it is gas operated which helps reduce recoil.