OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Applying 100% tung oil?

Started by Cervinae, April 15, 2013, 09:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cervinae

I am unable to get a glass finish with tung oil, even after several coats (on box call). Is there a method to this?  I am applying first coat with clean cloth, second and third with very fine sand paper then wipe with cloth.  One day drying in between.  Tonight I applied an let sit for 15 minutes then lightly wiped.  Will see if this helps.  Any suggestions?

Cut*N*Run

100% tung oil is super difficult to build up volume with. Most tung oil finishes have some varnish in them to get that gloss look and improve durability. Your best bet is to get what shine you can through sanding. Try going to 1500 grit and then burnishing with a piece of a brown paper bag. Glass finish with pure tung oil though, probably not.

Cervinae

Thanks for advice.  I will give it a shot.

Old Gobbler

burlap ... is a excellent abrasive , jute cord also be careful if your doing this while spinning on a lathe  , use small pieces of it and make sure its not wrapped around your fingers , or anything that could pull your fingers into it

another trick is to place a sheet of burlap flat on a table , and rub the piece over the burlap with wide long directional strokes going with the grain , old " London Best " stock makers for shotguns would use burlap all the time , they had special concoctions with the primary component being tung oils , also you could use fine wood dust in the concoction as a builder making the formula into  paste - I have a very fine double shotgun in my safe , ill provide a pic of a tung oil finish

not all tung oils are created equal , some are different from others , but they do penetrate deep into the wood and bring out a depth and glow, I repair /maintain oiled stocks on shotguns with tung oil and fine steel wool - let the oil soak in , rub it down , wipe it dry , place it up to dry , repeat the process - I would not put tung oil on a box call side for fear of it altering the sound 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Cervinae

Very nice work. Thanks for taking time to respond.