OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the proper way to condition an aluminum call?

Started by WVhuntEER, February 07, 2011, 11:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVhuntEER

I have an aluminum that I love but it gets "slick" really fast.  I don't want to damage the surface so what's the best way to get it back to singing pretty?   

letinmfly

Alcohol pads to clean it and Scotch-Brite pads to condition it.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

lightsoutcalls

Depends what kind of surface you have on the aluminum.  If it is not anodized, I don't know that the alcohol pads will make much difference. I use only powder blasted anodized aluminum surfaces and recommend only the alcohol pads for cleaning the surface.  Even the scotch brite pads will wear through the anodized surface eventually.  If you do have an anodized surface, you might try using some rain chalk on the surface.  It is amazing what it will do to a slick aluminum surface.   :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

WVhuntEER

Thank you!  I will try that.  BTW I have looked at your calls a lot and am going to get one in the near future.   :)

mossy835

Dumb question but what is rain chalk and where can it be purchased?

Crutch

RainChalk
Helps your call work in dry or wet weather! Slick calls are no longer a problem. Formulated for slate calls,
box calls, glass calls, you name it $5.25 Add toCart

This is from grassy creek call maker supply
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

REBELYELL

bowrebel

I tried some etching cream on some slick black aluminum and it worked great. I used an old paintbrush to put it on with, waited 5 minutes and wiped it off with a wet papertowel.  It leaves the aluminum a little duller looking. I'm going to try it on a couple more pieces and see how it does.
James