turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

why are so few calls made of oak?

Started by fletchy, May 16, 2013, 03:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletchy

Just curious why there are so few calls of oak advertised? Any main reason?

lightsoutcalls

You'll find quarter sawn-white oak slate calls available on my website.   My personal slate call is made of quarter-sawn white oak.  I just got 20 board feet of it in this week for next year.

I can't tell you why it isn't used more or more popular.  I would guess that part of the reason is that some makers just haven't tried it.  I personally love it.

Having said that, there are vast differences in sound between white oak and some other oak species.  I have made some calls out of blackjack oak, which is a whole different ballgame. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stone road turkey calls

Never really noticed until you brung it up, not very many are there. I have several 3 x 6 oak beams  from the old farm barns next door, which was built in 1867. I was told they were willow oak, they have a great dark petina and make a great pot call and tube call. I have only made 4 or 5 oak calls in the last few years, bet it would make a great box call it's hard as a brick.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

DirtNapCalls

I have a double sided aluminum & slate in a red oak pot that I made. It's always in my vest. You are right, you don't see many for some reason.

VanHelden Game Calls

I have done a couple and they sound great.  Why I don't use it? Because I find it boring, not that it is I just have a love/hate relationship with it from many many hrs planeing and milling when I was a kid.  I just like the idea of working with mysterious woods.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on May 17, 2013, 03:37:53 PM
I have done a couple and they sound great.  Why I don't use it? Because I find it boring, not that it is I just have a love/hate relationship with it from many many hrs planeing and milling when I was a kid.  I just like the idea of working with mysterious woods.

It's definitely not the most "exciting" wood.  :icon_thumright:  I do like the quarter sawn grain as opposed to the straight grain.  It does give it a little more character.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

VanHelden Game Calls

Agreed the cut makes the difference.

WillowRidgeCalls

I just picked a board of 1/4 sawn curly red oak, to make a few calls out of. This board has a redish brown tint to it with a lot of dark brown curl and figure in it. Should make some nice figured pots, red oak has some of the better sound to it as far as oak goes.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

magnoliagamecalls

It is so plain that folks don't like to buy them. It makes a great call and striker though.

coyote1

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 16, 2013, 05:03:55 PM
You'll find quarter sawn-white oak slate calls available on my website.   My personal slate call is made of quarter-sawn white oak.  I just got 20 board feet of it in this week for next year.

I can't tell you why it isn't used more or more popular.  I would guess that part of the reason is that some makers just haven't tried it.  I personally love it.

Having said that, there are vast differences in sound between white oak and some other oak species.  I have made some calls out of blackjack oak, which is a whole different ballgame.

Not to hi-jack the thread but what makes the black jack so much different from the white oak?  Is it harder to make it sound good ?

ferocious calls

Red Oak Quarter sawn is my Squawk Box call. They sound great but, as was said they are boring to look at compared to others. Most don't pick them until I tell them one rides in my vest and play one for them.

Made some calls from some 100 yr old since it was cut oak from an old house. It was a nailer behind the plaster. I left the nail holes on each part of the built calls. Gave them to the owner of the house. Man were/are those singers. Called them "Old Nailer"