Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

DSD verses Zink Avian X jake decoys???

Started by Marc, February 18, 2015, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Anyone here run or at least hunt over both of these decoys?

The things I like about the Avian are the smaller size, cheaper price, and ability to collapse.

The DSD posture seems to have the perfect combination horny/submissive that I would think would promote anger and aggression in a rival tom.

Does anyone think that they would have had birds come into a DSD that did not come into an Avian, or does anyone think that the DSD has brought in birds that would not have come into other jake decoys?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobble!

Anyone here run or at least hunt over both of these decoys?
Yes, I'm a DSD guy buddies are Avian guys.

Does anyone think that they would have had birds come into a DSD that did not come into an Avian, or does anyone think that the DSD has brought in birds that would not have come into other jake decoys?
No I think they both work equally. Ones made in America and better looking the other is made overseas and cheaper.

JLH

this may be coincidence, but....last season, first hunt, we had my DSD jake out and had several birds come in, one as close as 6 yds...we were bowhunting, without a blind, so didn't get a chance to even draw with that many eyes...they wandered off after a great show.

The next weekend my friend went without me, he set up his avion jake as hen, same field, different location.....saw the same birds, but the all hung up at about 60 yds.

The following weekend I went alone, with the dsd jake, had 3 Longboards come in and strut circles around the jake....one went for a ride home with me.

I can't say the dsd's sealed the deal, could have been they liked my call better....you just never know with turkeys.....and trust me, I've had days when they won't even look at my decoy....

jblackburn

Hunted over both, I own a dsd hen.  my only experience with avian was a hang up and spooked birds. Like, JLH, I'm not blaming the decoys, could ave been anything.  The only birds that have seen my dsd came straight in to it and a cheap pretty boy jr.

Both decoys are bulky, in my opinion.  Avians do deflate/fold, but they're still pretty heavy.  DSD's don't fold, but they look a touch better (IMO).

So as far a performance goes, it's probably a wash.

The tipping point for me: DSDs are made in the USA.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

55esox

It's all personal preference, but I think your hunting style and budget determine what decoys you use.  I walk too far in ruggeed terrain to deal with a full body decoy(s). I use and Avian hen and custom painted Pretty Boy Jr and they suit my needs just fine because they both fit in my vest.

That being said I've killed way more birds without decoys than I have with them.