turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey decoys

Started by SCGobbler, May 13, 2013, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

I haven't hunted in recent years until last year.

Children, job, etc... got in the way.  Now my kids are old enough to start going so I can now hunt with them.  Best hunting buddies I could have.

Anyway... what decoys are you all using now?

I have some old feather flex decoys that are not puffing back out since I left them folded a few years ago and a jake and hen set of carry-lite in the same condition.

I see all of the new decoys, but I hate to pay $60.00 plus for decoys.  Are there any good reasonable priced decoys available now?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

rock54

just sayn...buy the best DSD all the way....

my wife and i have investd in 2 feeder hens and 1 alert (which i only use in a submissive position) and have more birds come into our setup in the last two years, then in the four years before...

she shot her first turkey this year, right off the back of the submissive hens back at 10 yds...

and our hens decoys get beat up more by real hens then i can count,some kind of domainance thing with hens, i guess, going to start videoing next season,for us and proof...

whatever you decide...good luck to you, russ

MAKEemQUIVER

I was just like ya man I couldn't make myself pay the money for a nice decoy, but let me tell ya they are worth it in my opinion. The way the birds react to them is crazy. I would save my money and buy some good ones.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

stinkpickle

Sometimes, you can find a Carry Lite Pretty Boy Jr. jake decoy on sale.  The head needs more red, but a little craft paint fixes that.

Mike Honcho

Stink is right on...the Carry Lite Pretty Boy Jr. jake decoy looks like a $ 100 decoy...I bought mine online from Wing Supply for $ 19.99  and repainted the head.

seb5315

DSD is the way to go. They are pricey, but the way the look in the field is second to none in my opinion.  I have the Alert Hen and the Jake and love them both!

SCGobbler

What about collapsible decoys?

I know that the DSDs are primo, but what about collapsible?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Scpossum

Avian makes a hen that I use.  It collapses. 

jblackburn

Some days I love decoys, others I hate them.  I had a gobbler come straight in to a strutting jake and get shot, then I had one turn tail and run not a week later.

I hunt over a couple of Avian Xs this year and had an entire flock of Rios turn and run from them. 

I killed two Kansas birds this year without a single decoy.  Who know!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

eddie234

I've got the one from primos. They are older ones, swinging head hen, she mobile, jake mobile with a real tail fan and I just ordered a upright jake. I think I'm set. Ill use the hens an depending on where the season is at either the jake mobile or the upright jake. Btw I got the upright jake on eBay for 25.00 with free shipping. I seen cabelas had a bobbin lite for 19.99

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

Uvagobbler

I'm not a huge fan of decoys. I've had great results and spooked birds with a feeder hen. Go figure. If you can afford a DSD I would get one. Avian X would be my next choice. My best friend swears by the Avian X jake and hen set up.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Forget collapsible. 

Dsd's are the way to go if you're going to run decoys.

eddie234

Super X3

I watched seven birds walk into the avian x jake and two hen decoys this year. Two jakes, 2- two year olds and 3- three year olds. I bring this up because I don't think the old birds can resist and at the same time jakes are not so intimidated.
My goodness do they look good in the field. A taxidermist buddy is switching from the DSD to avian x next year.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Super X3 on May 22, 2013, 09:22:53 PM
I watched seven birds walk into the avian x jake and two hen decoys this year. Two jakes, 2- two year olds and 3- three year olds. I bring this up because I don't think the old birds can resist and at the same time jakes are not so intimidated.
My goodness do they look good in the field. A taxidermist buddy is switching from the DSD to avian x next year.
Dsd's are lighter and more realistic.  I'm not sure why anyone would ever make that switch.... BUT

If he is really doing that, I have a buddy selling his avians to upgrade to dsd's.  If you want we can put our friends in contact for a straight up swap.