OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

for all u people that work on the pipeline and gas wells. i got a question for u

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, May 07, 2013, 01:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

Well I got a road that goes through my property that has a gate on it. And today the people that use the road for the pipeline and check the oil well. Took my lock off and hung it on the gate and locked the gate with their lock. I do not have a key to there lock I have asked for it before. But they never did give me one. So I had no way to get to my property this morning. Needless to say I did get through the gate but that's beside the point. Are they able to do this. Can they get in trouble for this.? Thanks guys.

redarrow

I assume they have easement rights. Did they build the road as access to their pipeline.The common thing here in MI. seems to be 2 locks. One yours ,one theirs. With a short piece of chain joined at each end to the gate and post with a lock.

WV TURKEY THUG

They do have the right to use the property. I don't own the mineral rights. But I was the one that put the road their and the gate they just started using it last September. And yes the gate is locked like u described it.

spaightlabs

That's why there is always a bolt cutter in  my rig.  They should have just locked into your lock. cut theirs and leave it where they can see it.

WV TURKEY THUG

didn't have bolt cutters but I had a gun. Its a little more noiser but gets the job done haha.

stone road turkey calls

check the plat of your property and see where the easement is, if the gate is not on the easement tell them to stay off your property by certified mail and use there easement and install there own gate.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

WV Ridge Reaper

If you have a lock on it then they should have a key for your lock.There for they shouldn't be locking your gate with there lock.

I'd be going to a office trailer and talkin to someone.

Or just take the gate down.

Gamblinman

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on May 07, 2013, 03:52:38 PM
check the plat of your property and see where the easement is, if the gate is not on the easement tell them to stay off your property by certified mail and use there easement and install there own gate.

Exactly..they have right to access, but that doesn't mean through your gate. Did they have a key to your gate, or cut your lock off?

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

WV TURKEY THUG

No they don't have the.key to my lock. I tried giving them one they didn't want it. They said they would put there own lock on it. So that we could both go through it has been alright until the last couple of months. They have been leaving it open and when they shut it they don't lock it. I was turkey hunting last Friday and when I was opening the gate they were coming through so I said I would just leave my lock unlocked so they could go through. I told them to lock it back when they leave. Then this morning I come to my gate and there lock is locked and my lock was hanging on the gate. It was pouring the rain so I got p o and got some 00 buckshot and shot it off. And put my lock on it and locked it. I took pictures of it and a video for evidence I think I'm gonna turn them in.

WV TURKEY THUG

Can't take the gate down way to many poachers. Around here. For some reason they never cut the locks. I think their to lazy to get out of the truck. Haha plus I got signs up that say smile for the camera.

Deadeye

I live in the northern part of WV. The gas well folks put a road and a gate on my property after we signed all the papers. I have a lock on the gate and they put their lock thru mine.  Either way I or the gas well guys can open the gate. It works fine and so far no trouble but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't change. There are so many contractors working for the main company and I can see how things like that could go wrong as the people change. Sorry to hear about what's happening to you.

WV TURKEY THUG

There suppose to put there lock through mine. I just got me a  boltcutter today for this reason. Its a lot safer than using a gun. I'm hoping after a few times of cutting their lock they will get the point. I read some papers I signed on and I forgot that they paid me to use the road and gate. But that still doesn't give them the right to lock it with there lock only and leave it unlocked. Everytime they leave the gate unlocked there lock is going to be cut. This goes the same for when they lock it with there lock only. I'm fed up with them I got signs on the gate on bother sides of the gate that says keep gate locked. I figure after a few locks being cut they will wise up.

PEHunter

I am on a lease in southern WV, and we have the same problem dealing with the coal mines and gas wells.  It sounds like your problem is the guy's that are accessing the property just don't care.  A friendly face to face with the supervisor may be warranted if you could resolve it that way it would probably be better in the long run.

We started using a new lock arrangement a couple of years ago what has been working well as long as they lock the gate.  We use a steel flat bar inserted vertically through a slot in the gate cross bar, with our lock through the top of the flat bar and theirs through the bottom of the flat bar.  One of the has to be remove to lift the plat bar out so that the gate will swing back out seat slot on the gate post.  I works well because it gives you two way to get the flat bar out.  I am sure it is hard to picture, if your interested I will try to explain it better.

We usually have to replace 3 or 4 gates a year due to poachers and thieves damaging them or cutting them up for scrap metal.

Good Luck.

PEHunter

WV TURKEY THUG

I've had a talk with the supervisor of the job about keeping that gate locked and stuff. He said were not able to keep it locked while they was working because they are not aloud to work behind locked gates? He said that they would lock it when they leave, they said they would put there lock through mine so we both could get through. I said that would work I was very polite to him about it all but now there gonna have a rude awakening coming and lots of locks being cut if they don't wise up quick. I agree that that the people just don't care about locking the gate. I just don't see why they ha e to be so disrespectful. They were suppose to put more gravel on the road because what I had on the road dissapeared from them fringe dozers and stuff on it. They have yet to do that.