OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Latex affect mouth calls????

Started by NFW, April 23, 2013, 12:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFW

This a just pondered me, but i keep seeing how people say they got different colors on latex on their mouth calls, does the color affect sound, or do colors apply to thickness of latex and thats what makes the sound different.

thanks in advance.

Gooserbat

Different colors create different tones and rasp due in part to the dye that is used to color the latex.  some colors are softer than others. ie gray vs red.  I tend to believe that the "hard" colors like red are rasper than the "soft" colors like grey or yellow.  This is my take on it lets see what the other guys say.

Also bare in mind that .004 gray for instance typically runs on the + side of .004 while .004 yellow usually runs on the - side and thus make a lighter reed. 

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Terry

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 23, 2013, 10:50:47 AMI tend to believe that the "hard" colors like red are rasper than the "soft" colors like grey or yellow.

I don't make calls, but from a user's viewpoint I agree. At least with Woodhaven calls.

Lonehowl

Yes, thats my take on it as well.
Mark

TRKYHTR

I agree that adding color to a latex changes the vibration characteristics. I am not sure on the hard colors being more raspy. I have some dark black .004 latex that is higher pitch than my .003 clear latex. I'm not sure there is a rule of thumb but you can bet that it does change the tone. I agree that red is more raspy than grey with the same thickness.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

GobbleNut

I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules in regards to the latex color, personally. I think there is too much variation, or inconsistency if you will, in the latex, regardless of the color, to definitively say one has certain sound characteristics as compared to the others.  Latex thickness, on the other hand, plays a huge role in the sound produced in a call, as does the reed cuts made in the primary sound reed. 

The latex making process, which is primarily for medical purposes and such, is not exacting enough to produce the consistency in latex reed material for turkey calls to assure that any two calls, made exactly the same, will sound exactly the same.  Anybody that has purchased a number of the same call from any manufacturer, or even those that make calls themselves, are very much aware that it is a crapshoot as to whether any two calls will make sounds of the same quality. 

There are also variables completely unrelated to the latex color and thickness that play a role in sound quality of a call.  The reed spacing, tension of each reed, the type of cuts put in the primary sound reed, the depth of the cuts, and the angles of the cuts all play a part in the sound created by the call.  When you add the fact that each one of us has a little different shaped mouth, as well as different placement of the call in the mouth, and the ability to control air flow over the sound reeds,...it becomes clear that the color of the reed material is often a very insignificant factor in how a call will sound.

QuickDraw

I think the cuts and stretch have more to do with the rasp and tones. Also the number of reeds. But having said the above I can see where the different colors might have a slight variation to the tones.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Different colored latex  of the same thickness has huge variance in sound!!!