turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 13 6s vs Hevi Mag Blends... Discussion... Interesting

Started by TheSportsman, May 01, 2013, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Killed allot of turkeys with Hevi 6's ever since they were on the market. Killed allot of turkeys with hevi 7's and mag blends. Cant tell the slightest difference in which one kills better. They are all bad to the bone..literally. I have more confidence in the 7's due the density of the patterns. Less gaps means more shot in the turkey.

stinkpickle

6's, 7's, or mag blends...they all work for me.  I use whichever I find the best price on.  I seriously doubt I will ever say, "I would have killed that turkey if I had used [insert any choice here], instead of [insert different choice here]."

archdriver

I have  come  to the  conclusion that pretty  much  any turkey  load marketed  today
would have  killed all the  turkeys I have  ever killed.  What i  mean  to say,  is  i  dont  think
it  would  have  mattered whether i  shot the bird with 4's  or 5's or  6's  or  blends or  7's ,,,  I  really  think the kill  shot would end  up  with the  same  result. 

All of  my  misses, had  little if not  nothing  to  do with the shotshell but  rather  decisions I  made
at the time  of  shooting.   I  doubt  my turkey  tally would be  much different if  I  had exclusively used  a  20 ga  or  a  12 ga all these  years.

I  jsut  dont  think the equipment (gun or shell) would  have made much  difference.

That  being  said,  i prefer to  use lead 5's in  my  12  ga  and #7 fed HW in my 20.

most of  my  shots should  be  in  the 30yrd range...  I  typically  hunt with  my  12  when  turkeys are scarce and hunt  with the 20 when they are  abundant.
ArchDriver

R AJ

Quote from: archdriver on May 02, 2013, 02:49:41 PM
I have  come  to the  conclusion that pretty  much  any turkey  load marketed  today
would have  killed all the  turkeys I have  ever killed.  What i  mean  to say,  is  i  dont  think
it  would  have  mattered whether i  shot the bird with 4's  or 5's or  6's  or  blends or  7's ,,,  I  really  think the kill  shot would end  up  with the  same  result. 

All of  my  misses, had  little if not  nothing  to  do with the shotshell but  rather  decisions I  made
at the time  of  shooting.   I  doubt  my turkey  tally would be  much different if  I  had exclusively used  a  20 ga  or  a  12 ga all these  years.

I  jsut  dont  think the equipment (gun or shell) would  have made much  difference.

That  being  said,  i prefer to  use lead 5's in  my  12  ga  and #7 fed HW in my 20.

most of  my  shots should  be  in  the 30yrd range...  I  typically  hunt with  my  12  when  turkeys are scarce and hunt  with the 20 when they are  abundant.

I like all of what you said, except I would have had to hunt with the 12 gauge all year if abundance makes the decision.