OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg Sa 20 turkey thug

Started by gobblenomore, April 29, 2013, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblenomore

Just bought the wife one for mother's day. Has anybody tried the choke that comes with it. If so what seems to pattern best?
Thanks

Brian Stewart

I tried mine and I was getting in the 120's with it at 40 yards.  I was shooting Federal #7 HW out of it. I didn't try it with the Hevi #7's. 
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

FL-Boss

I just bought one last week....but haven't picked it up yet.  Very little found about this gun when you research. ( Thanks again for the input Brian)

What I can tell you is that this gun is different than many mossbergs because it's made by Mossberg international ( Turkish made)   For starters the choke threads are Benelli/Beretta .... Not accuchoke.

As for choke /ammo – from what I gather you want a IC or Sumtoy .562.  I got a Sumtoy for it last week.  Make sure you tell William it's the Mossberg "international" SA-20 gun... he will know which choke you need...especially since I just talked to him about it.    As for ammo – Fed hevi #7, or HEVI 13, #7... with the Sumtoy.   IC – just HEVI 13, #7 ... can't shoot FC wad in Federal. 
I will have complete pattern test result and a complete write up next week when I get time to test everything. I plan on spending a day with the gun.

Brian Stewart

These guns shoot great for sure . From what I've gathered is it and a Weatherby SA 08 are about the same gun. Made by the same company. My gun shot really good with the Sumtoy and Indian Creek choke. It shot the best with the IC and Nitro Company straight #7's so far. It was too close to season to fool with anything else. But with the Sumtoy and Fed #7's and Hevi #7's I was getting 140's and 150's out of it. The Indian Creek and Hevi #7's shot in the 150's too. She will love the gun I really enjoy mine I've not had a single issue with it but the four gobbles that have met it did. I really like the scope base it comes with, plenty of room to move a red dot around.

FL-Boss

Can't wait to pick my up...I bet its a joy to carry in the woods

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

surehuntsalot

I've heard alot of good things about these shotguns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ltprod

Do they make a slug barrel for it??

gobblenomore

Iy appears they don't offer a slug barrel at this time

Bradley

I purchased one for my Wife a few weeks ago. She has a bad shoulder so Iadded a Compstock. She's shooting Fed HW #7 2 3/4" shells. It is putting anywhere from 112-120 in a 10" at 40 yards. I shot it with 3" and the 2 3/4" shells and the felt kick was very minimal. This is my Wife's first Turkey.

CrustyRusty

My wife would say I was her first turkey!! :TooFunny:

Quote from: Bradley on May 10, 2013, 11:54:12 PM
I purchased one for my Wife a few weeks ago. She has a bad shoulder so Iadded a Compstock. She's shooting Fed HW #7 2 3/4" shells. It is putting anywhere from 112-120 in a 10" at 40 yards. I shot it with 3" and the 2 3/4" shells and the felt kick was very minimal. This is my Wife's first Turkey.

chris30br

What is the constriction size on the factory Turkey choke that comes with these guns???

FL-Boss

I have no clue...and have never been able to find that info. I would guess it's around .590.

chris30br

Measure the inside diameter with a caliper and that will give a close idea.

Brian Stewart

My factory choke measures .580

chris30br

Thanks. I'm thinking about picking up one of these guns later this fall and the factory choke they come with should shoot tss well. Have to wait and see