OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally patterened the SP10!

Started by Full_Fan, April 28, 2013, 04:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

All the snow finally melted enough for me to get out and shoot the SP10 with a new choke and a couple new loads after polishing the barrel... been waiting for months to finally start shooting.

For the Fed HW FCW #7 with a Kicks .695 I got a 190/10/40
For the Fed HW FCW #7 with a factory Rem Turkey Choke (flush) I got a 167/10/40
For the Win Supreme HV #5 (lead) with a Kicks .695 I got a 149/10/40

I shoot an SP10 with a 26" barrel with a truglo tru-point sight.  The sight is one of the older modles and has no windage or elevation adjustments.  First thing I noticed is how my POI is to the right at 20 and 40yds... see photos.  Do I have any other options other than to get an adjustable sight?  I'd rather not get a scope, are there any good adjustable truglo sights for the SP10 you guys would recommed?

I also noticed how the rem factory flush turkey choke shot about the same as the Kicks 695 with the Fed HW FCW #7 at 20 yards.  At 40, the Kicks beat it, but not by much.  I also have a Kicks 690, but did not shoot it yesterday.  I would imagine my number at 40 would go up slightly.  Reason I tried the 695 is that I wanted a good 20yd pattern as well.

The Kicks 695 really seemed to like the Win Supreme HV #5's.  Nice even 20yd pattern and 149 at 40yards suprised me.

Anyway, just wanted to post these results and see what a lot of you more experienced guys thought.  If you got these results with your set up what would your next move be?  Thanks!

Old Gobbler

Looks like its shooting about 6 inches to the right like you mentioned -  you might need to get adj truglos - I used to adjust the elevation on my guns by screwing the mid bead up or down , you might be able to mess with the rear glo by shimming it and filing it , those shells are $6 a pop to sightit in like that , you will probably will be best served buying new sights

I think your .685- Hw pattern is a little higher then you circled - I think its closer to 200-215 if adjusted
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Full_Fan

I'll have to look into an adjustable sight and see what I can find.  Definately not going to adjust POI with the Fed HW shells.  OG, how do your numbers with these shells and the Kicks .690 compare to mine?  Whould you be "happy" with these numbers or try for more?

hese number and patter distribution of the Kicks .695

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Full_Fan on April 28, 2013, 08:30:46 PM
I'll have to look into an adjustable sight and see what I can find.  Definately not going to adjust POI with the Fed HW shells.  OG, how do your numbers with these shells and the Kicks .690 compare to mine?  Whould you be "happy" with these numbers or try for more?

hese number and patter distribution of the Kicks .695

I think I got 218? with it through my kicks , its a 23" barrel , the forcing cone on mine is honed out mirror smooth - The Fed's shoot straight in the same hole as all the other shells I have tried  - I have 19 boxes of them stashed and I hope to live long enough to shoot at that many gobblers - its a good , good shell - but it up , cause I have a funny feeling they wont be around for much longer 

FYI - my sp 10 has a crooked rib and a slightly off center choke installation from the factory it used to shoot 1 foot high and 3 inches to the right , I filled down the rear part of the rib and lowered the rear bead to bring it to just shooting 3 inches to the right - about 8 years ago I got into shooting with scopes as my vision degraded , and my shooting has improved ever more

-Shannon

Full_Fan

Thanks OG.  I'm going to try to hold off on the scope thing.  I just feel too awkward with a scoped gun in the woods with me in the spring.  Hard to break old learned habits I guess.

How about some comments from some of you other 10ga guys who shoot the Fed HW FCW #7?  What do you think about these numbers, sufficient or try another choke?

I also shot my 3.5" 12 a few times and wow, that combo with the right choke and load is about as good if not better than my 10ga with HTL.  I've never shot Nitro's from my 10ga however.

Old Gobbler

That pattern you posted 200 will kill any gobbler dead in the sand , provided it hits him squarely

try the other kicks and see how it goes , you never know till you try

-Shannon

M R Ducks

Funny....  My SP10 shoots lead dead straight out of both my 695 Hastings and 690 Jelly Head chokes, but the Nitro megaweights shoot about 4 inches left at 25 yards.  I went with a Mueller Quick Shot - solved everything.  I used the circle sight.  If I shoot lead I just line up the right side of the circle with where I want to hit.

Ducks