OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Big NH Tom DOWN!!!!!!!! Updated with pics and story!

Started by chatterbox, April 27, 2013, 12:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

My son Harrison killed his first turkey this morning around 8 am, on NH's youth opener!
We were having no luck in the first place we hit, so we moved on to a field where I had seen some nice jakes.
Nothing was there, so we moved onto a field where I killed a nice tom a few years back. I heard the crows going ballistic, so I ease into the field edge. Nothing was there, so I set up a hen decoy while Harrison got settled into his chair.
BOOM!!! Heard a shot from the other end of the field about 300 yards away. I told H to settle in, birds might head back this way. I hit a series of yelps on my slate, and nothing
Not 2 min later, I saw a bird walking along the treeline right to us. I told H to get ready, one was coming. He stuck his neck up to look at me, and figuring nothing was wrong, went back to heading to the decoy. I could see he was a beautiful bird. I heard the safety click off, and saw the gun barrel move.
So did the bird. He stuck his neck up to have a better look, and it was the last mistake he would ever make.
BOOM!!!!! Harrison sent a load of Heviweight number 7's his way, and just flattened him!
The hunt lasted 10 min from start to finish. By the way, the shot that happened on the other end was from my buddies son. Scored on a nice jake, so it was a good day all around.
Here he is. 18 lbs, 8" beard, and 3/4" spurs. Exact same measurements as the bird I killed 4 years ago in the same field!

I am so proud of him! He was calm, and made an awsome shot. I will never forget this day for the rest of my life!
BTW, he went on to knock in 2 runs in his baseball game last night! He's having a dream spring!

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

alloutdoors

trkycaller

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

TN-Hunter

renegade19

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Crappiepro

Congrats to both of you!! Good job!!

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

eman375

I'm sure it will be a long lifelong memory for both of you.  Congrats!

chatterbox

Thanks everyone! He is still on cloud 9!
He has worked hard. He had missed 3 birds to ths point, so I would say his persistance paid off!
It was just awsome. Nothing like seeing a 200 lb man act like a little kid! He hit that bird, andI was out of my chair like a shot! Dang, it was fantastic!

StorminNorman

Congrats to both of you !! Great to see anyone get their kids in the outdoors and that will be a day you'll both never forget