Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Factory Tube in a Gold Light 10 Question...

Started by bluetick523, April 23, 2013, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluetick523

Hi all.  I have a quick question:

How does the factory full tube perform in the above mentioned gun?  I normally hunt with a SBE.....with a Pure Gold and Hevi-13's, but I bought the Gold Light 10 for a new goose gun.  It actually didn't come in until about two weeks after goose season closed......so I'm kinda itching to use it.  I'm about taking it to the turkey woods this Saturday. I am checking cabelas tomorrow to see what kind of ammo they have.  I was in the store Friday and I'm thinking I saw some Winchester Supremes.....at least I think that's what they had.  Figured I might grab a box tomorrow.  I would get an aftermarket turkey tube while there.....and be set......but I know they don't have any in the store.  I should have gotten one ordered before season......but like I said.....I didn't really plan on using it until the last few days.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old Gobbler

If your shooting lead I would try the smallest shot you can find #6 ? with the" factory full " and make sure it shoots POA before venturing out in the turkey woods - you stand a good chance of making it a 40 yard gun as is....  10 gauges can do this

Im not sure what the constriction and construction of your factory full is but if its just plain full , and if it is determined you can shoot a Federal Flight control wad , I would steer you towards the Federal 1300 fps #7 Heavy Weight offering , the wad may give you a fighting chance of putting more than 100 in a 10 at 40 yards - Im saying this because with just the full choke your options are limited  - the choke will make a big difference because I have seen turkey chokes throw that shell from 130 all the way up to 218 -  the choke is a big deal with that shell

A box of those (5 count) will set you back about $29

Good luck , let us know how you did --Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

bluetick523

Thanks for the reply! 

I picked up a box of Winchester #5's at Cabelas today.  The only other thing they had was Remington 4's.  Gonna try it on paper tomorrow.  If it suits me, I'll probably try it Saturday. If not, I'll stick to my proven setup.  I'm just really itching to try his thing out.  I ordered it early enough before goose season went out........but with the crazy gun sales earlier this year, it took awhile to get. I may go ahead and get a choke ordered.  Our season just came in two days ago.......so I still have some time.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bluetick523

Thanks surehuntsalot!

As it turns out, I did not get to use the 10 last Saturday.  As I think I mentioned before, I had to have that gun ordered.  I requested one with a 28" barrel and Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo (I mainly ordered it for a goose gun).  Well, when it came in, it had a 26" barrel.  Weird thing was, the box was labeled "28 inch"......and the serial number on the box matched the one on the receiver.  Browning just put the wrong barrel in the box.  My dealer contacted Browning Service......and then sent it back for me.  A few weeks went by and it was returned with the proper barrel.  I hadn't really done anything with it, except clean the new barrel.....and pattern a waterfowl load with the modified choke.  Welll, Friday when I got it out to put the full choke in and pattern with my turkey loads.......I discovered I did not have a full choke.  I think the choke tubes were mixed up in the little plastic containers when I sent it back to Browning for the barrel swap.....and somehow, I now have an improved cylinder and two modified chokes!  Grrr........Browning!  So, I guess turkey hunting with it is going to have to wait until I get a choke ordered.  :(