Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 ga 870 26" tube and Jelly Head .570, Load Recommendation?

Started by PEHunter, April 22, 2013, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEHunter

Well I've had the itch for 20ga for a while, and after reading alot posts about how everyone likes them, I had to have one.  I am having a flare up from some bad disk in my neck also, so I thought it would be a good time cut down on the abuse delivered from my 835.  I picked up a box of Win XX #5 to try, but I am wondering if I should just pick up a couple boxes of hevishot and be done with it.  Anyone have any experience that they can share?

Bigstruttin

I personally don't hunt with a 20 but everyone around here seem to love the federal heavyweight 7's for a 20

Tom Foolery

Get some hevi shot or some Federal HW #7's and be done with it.  The hevi13 stuff is much easier to get around here but the Fed HW #7's are bad news bears, I have 6 boxes and would love to have 60 boxes of them.

remmy1187

I would give the federal hwt 7's or the Hevi-shot 7's a try.  I have had really good success with the IC .555 choke with my 870 and 11-87, i have not tried the JH choke in the 20 gauge but I would think it should be ok.  Lead 5's in the twenty gauge will probably not give you a lot of pellets in your 10" and will limit your effective range to probably 30 yards which is why I recommend the 7's in heavier than lead pellets. Good luck with your setup and keep us posted.