Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Son's First Gobbler and with a 20 ga.(Pics Added)

Started by WildTigerTrout, April 23, 2013, 07:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

I took my 14 year old son, Sterling hunting last Saturday during Pa.'s Youth Day Hunt. Long story short we worked a good longbeard for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Sterling took him at 25 yards and downed him at 715 am with one shot from my Benelli "Nova" 20 ga. It's his first wild turkey ever! We hunt the old fashioned way without blinds or decoys and use good old lead shot. The load used was the old pre FC wad Federal Premium 3" 1 5/16oz #6 shot. The bird weighed 17 3/4 pounds, had a 9 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. A good two year old. We had him in range in front of us for about ten minutes before Sterling could line up and take the shot. What a RUSH! I am VERY proud of him. The memory will last us both a lifetime. I am really impressed  how well the "little" 20 ga. performed. I'm going to carry the 20 next Saturday when the regular season opens.             
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Sand Man

Let's see a picture!!!!!!  Congrats to the boy.  I killed my first one with a Remington 1100.  I'll never forget that bird.  I'm sure your son will never forget his first either.  Good on you dad for getting your kiddo involved in the outdoors.  It sure keep me out of a lot of trouble growing up.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

beagler

Never Misses

Sand Man

Like seeing that smile on the kiddo.  Here's the pictures for you Ed:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

redarrow

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Shooting the exact same 20 ga. Man I love that Nova. Congrats to you both.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Michigander

gophert

Congrats to you and your son!

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo

gobblergls

That's great for both you and your son.  Good calling, good set-up and both of you kept still while your son patiently waited for the shot.  The three essentials of old school turkey hunting.  It doesn't get any better than that. 

R AJ

That's what I'm talking about! Congrats to both of you. :happy0064: :anim_25: :fud: :newmascot:

chatterbox

Fantastic! I love to see kids having success!
Congrats to both of you!

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: gobblergls on May 01, 2013, 05:45:45 AM
That's great for both you and your son.  Good calling, good set-up and both of you kept still while your son patiently waited for the shot.  The three essentials of old school turkey hunting.  It doesn't get any better than that.
Thank you very much for your comments. I must agree nothing better IMO than hunting wild turkeys "Old School". It is a real challenge. I love it and now so does my son.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

owlhoot

congrats! great to see kids hunting.
That is how i got started carrying the 20 also. i have not regretted it .Shot 4 with that load you shoot. does great.

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats to your boy on a fine bird....