OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

11-87 choke recommendations?

Started by lowoctane, April 20, 2013, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

Curious...tried the SSX with this Rem with 26" barrel and was not impressed. Experienced suggestions?
Thanks in advance!  :camohat:
3" gun!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ridge Rooster

I would say it depends on what shells you plan on shootin. I like my Rhino .660 but I have not tried many other newer chokes like the Indian Creek, Sumtoy and Pure Gold. I just shot some Mag Blend out of my 21" Barrel 11-87, and they shot very good, so I am sure they would perform well out of you 26"

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

remmy1187

As ridge rooster said, what load do you plan on shooting.

lowoctane

Sorry guys...HEVI 3"x7's or Fed HWT 3"x7's.
And, depending on what the Turkey Thug does for 2014, maybe 3"x6's.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

ILIKEHEVI-13

The TruGlo SSX is .643, and I couldn't get that choke to shoot well in my 870 either.  I sold it.  I think you would be better off trying a TruGlo Bone Collector .667 choke. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I like Indian Creek chokes.  A .665 may shoot in your gun and it may not.  You may want to try a .660 or .670 Indian Creek choke, but Stuart or Mike would have to make you one.  You might want to try a Rem Ventilator .655 choke.  They are cheap and shoot real well with hevi-13 #7 loads.  Pure Gold makes some good chokes too.  I have a .670 and it shoots very well.  The Mad Super Max .675 is my best shooting Hevi-13 #7 choke I have for my 870. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: lowoctane on April 20, 2013, 06:41:00 PM
Curious...tried the SSX with this Rem with 26" barrel and was not impressed. Experienced suggestions?
Thanks in advance!  :camohat:
3" gun!

Did you not have good numbers, good dense patterns or exactly what was not right about your patterns? You deep cleaned your barrel prior to going to the patterning board?

My 11-87s both have shot excellent patterns with that combination. I'm really interested to hear how your patterns were and I'll certainly be of all the help that I can.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

the Ward

Just some food for thought.It seems like some members are getting excellent results with the ssx while some have not.Could it be like Clark suggested,in the cleaning?I would imagine a tight constriction like the ssx' .643 would build up plastic wad fouling very rapidly and might not be detected easily under pattern testing conditions.I think the tighter a choke is,the more its performance could be affected by fouling,due to the greater percentage the choke will be restricted the smaller the exit diameter is.Maybe try Clarks "Deep cleaning" method,and really brush the choke and barrel out between shots and make sure its dry(no oil).Just throwing an idea out there....ward

the Ward

P.S some guns and chokes just don't like each other no matter what you do,but i would try the cleaning before you throw in the towl on it.This wasn't meant to imply that nobodys cleaning their guns properly when patterning so please don't take it the wrong way Lol!Just a theory about the ultra tight choke constriction i had....ward

SKFOOTER

Jellyhead .660 was made for that combination. :OGturkeyhead:

lowoctane

Been hunting pretty hard, so no time to work with any combinations. Did buy a Jellyhead .665 to try when the season is over... :thanks:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life