turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much time does it take you to turn a striker

Started by selinoid44, April 18, 2013, 09:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selinoid44

People are always asking me how much time I have in turning a call or strikers. Today somebody asked me that and I said "heck I dont know Im just having fun". So tonight I thought that I would check from the time I turned the switch on and started turning to parting it off the lathe. I had 20 minutes in it. Thats the first time Ive checked time. Whats the average time you spend turning a striker?

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Gobblerstopper

About the same or a little quicker with some woods and a sharp cutter. For a while I was able to do them in 11.

Basser69

Charlie, I am like you...Never timed myself eith but I would guess 15-20 min also

turkey buster

Charlie how much for a handmade slate and stricker?

pappy

I turn out a striker in less the ten minutes from start to finish. But.........I have made hundreds of them........
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

turkin8or

One-piece strikers are the best buy in the business. I think it takes me as long to turn a striker as a call sometimes-

dreis3

Quote from: turkin8or on April 19, 2013, 11:34:50 PM
One-piece strikers are the best buy in the business. I think it takes me as long to turn a striker as a call sometimes-

x2.
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

Steve

Dang...I'm slow. It takes me 30 -45 minutes for a striker from cutting the blank to the time it comes off the lathe...that includes finish time too though.

Steve

lightsoutcalls

12-20 minutes depending on the wood.  Some woods sand better than others (easier to get the sanding scratches out).  Dymondwood strikers run about 20 minutes.  Cedar strikers closer to 12 minutes. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stone road turkey calls

three hours, get up get some coffee, go out look at the deer at the feeder, go look at the garden see how much the deer and rabbits have eaten, go back in get more coffe and watch the news, log on to the OG for awhile, go out to shop with coffe, look at striker blanks, pick whate i am going to make, go back in and get some breakfast, go back out and make a striker.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

misfire

10 minutes, start to finish. I actually timed myself because I hate making them. Wanted to know how much time I was wasting on them
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Swamp

Timed myself yesterday. Very basic design using hickory and not the sharpest tools in the world but still finished a hair under 20 mins.

pappy

Let me give you all a heads up, I start out with dowels on some of my strikers, this saves me bunches of time. Another thing is I use aggressive sanding to prefinish the strikers initial diameter to the shaft, then follow up with fine sanding. There are many ways to cut your time in turning, but the end result is not about how long it took, it is about how well it turned out...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

magnoliagamecalls

West Augusta

Over an hour to rough one in including the bell.  The hand work takes several hours and then with tuning and finishing.... Days.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.