Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gabon Ebony PushPin Call w/ Macassar soundboard **soundfile

Started by Old Gobbler, April 15, 2013, 09:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Okay guys , Season is over for me now with a few birds under my belt - its time to catch back up with orders - I have made some progress , this morning I completed a Gabon Ebony push pins for hunters in the respective states of South Carolina and West Virginia - Musical grade woods like Ebony are my favorite for making push pins the sound quality and tone is spectacular , they look good too , but the sound is what I am after 

As some of you may know I am bout the most die hard push pin fanatic there ever was , and my calling techniques are unorthodox but quite productive for calling turkeys into gun range -I made a video as soon as I could find a time that lawnmowers and songbirds were not chirping it up - there was a malfunction with my cell and it taped it at a 90 deg angle - but the sound is there , and picture in 1080p  -  with most tape recording devices the sound is distorted as you get close to the mic. so I stepped back 20-30 feet

I want to let you know my push pins are intentionally designed quite differently than any others before - they have 1) a long pin { with lathe turned knurling )extending out the pull side of the call - this is so you can pull the yelps out - not push them out like a novice - it sounds much better when you hang on to the pin and pull the box forward - you will see me do this a couple of times 2) Soundboard -the call has a special soundboard in it , vissable is the Macassar ebony , its in a ply lamanated by hand with another undisclosed musical grade hardwood , vissable from the inside portion only - I hand lay these up , and they are pressed to together with 5,000 lbs , then hand shaved and measured and they undergo another undisclosed "breaking in " procedure , this is so the soundboard has the right amount of snap and flex , similar to a flyrod or a bow limb - its a PITA but the call quality is worth it -

If you can see I flip the call over and place my finger directly on the paddle , another unique feature is I have a special stopper so that your pointer finger can fit in between the stopper and the pin  , on the paddle you can use this to fast cluck, cut , yelp and purr and fighting purr -- I wanted to show how you can baffle the purrs to low volume contented purrs by flipping the call upside down and placing your hand or finger on the sound board - ans I step away from the recording device you can hear some examples , takes a little practice ----

thanks for looking --Shannon   

link --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrU5OEH5tW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

another older vid -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuxTaMqa39U

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

RickC

Blessings,
Rick

870FaceLift

I can't believe how good that sounds (and looks)!   :drool:
Pass it on...

goblr77

DirtNap647

you make the best sounding push pin calls ive heard  :drool:

SCGobbler

I bought one this spring and its nothing but turkey!!!!

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

ILIKEHEVI-13

Those both look good to me.  That first one is spectacular.   :z-winnersmiley:

coyote1

I agree, definetly the best sounding pushpin i have ever heard.

Onpoint

Those are nice. Might just have to get me one of em'. Ykno, my birthday is Sunday (hint hint ).  Just kiddin but all BS aside that's hands down best sounding push pin call I've ever heard.