turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

BELIEVER IN THE 20 GA. AND FEDERAL HVY #6s

Started by Punisher, April 13, 2013, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

Decided to try to kill a gobbler with a 20 ga. this year so I bought a Remmy 20 ga. Express, Carlson's .575, and some Federal Hvy 6s.  Well needless to say it is a deadly combo.  Packed it today for the KY opener.  Misjudged my distance, and I won't mention how far he was because of forum rules, but that turkey hit the dirt as hard as any turkey I have ever shot.  He was also one of the better birds I have ever killed.  The bird weighed 23.40 lbs., 11 in. beard, and had 1 1/2 spurs.  I hate to say it but it is going to be hard for me to pack the 12 or 10 again. :toothy9:

Philippe

Alot of folks dont quite understand that 20's with hevi-shot or heavyweights/tss are no joke! Plus they are alot easier to carry on long treks!

lowoctane

When patterning my 20, my backstop was an old entrance door to an RV, which was aluminum with insulation sandwiched between aluminum. At 40 yards, the 20 shot Fed HWT 7's right thru both sides! It convinced me of their effectiveness!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Hooksfan

Both of my kids have connected this year with a youth 20 and hevishot.  Killer combination.

remmy1187

A lot of these 20's with HTL loads are putting up way better numbers than the 12's with lead that a lot of us grew up shooting.  There seems to be a misunderstanding that because it is a 20 gauge it is less powerful than a 12 gauge is.  They are definately no joke and are a treat to carry compared to some of the 12's.

R AJ

Quote from: Punisher on April 13, 2013, 10:48:30 PM
Decided to try to kill a gobbler with a 20 ga. this year so I bought a Remmy 20 ga. Express, Carlson's .575, and some Federal Hvy 6s.  Well needless to say it is a deadly combo.  Packed it today for the KY opener.  Misjudged my distance, and I won't mention how far he was because of forum rules, but that turkey hit the dirt as hard as any turkey I have ever shot.  He was also one of the better birds I have ever killed.  The bird weighed 23.40 lbs., 11 in. beard, and had 1 1/2 spurs.  I hate to say it but it is going to be hard for me to pack the 12 or 10 again. :toothy9:
The larger the bird the closer it looks. Congrats on your kill and newly found turkey getter.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BrowningGuy88

Hevi and HWT 6's are hammers! I believe in both of them a lot!

TrackeySauresRex

Congrats on a great Bird!

I hate to say it but it is going to be hard for me to pack the 12 or 10 again. :toothy9:

I've bin thinking the same way.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."