turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WV gobbling (North Central)

Started by 870BkWht, April 13, 2013, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Got out finally Thursday morning here in Preston county to listen around a bit and walk some ground.  Never heard a peep until a little after 6:15am.  Heard a flock of hens fly down and there were several together.  Heard 3 gobblers, only 1 was really close, but he was with the hens and he only gobbled about 3 times after fly down. 

Im going to head out again near the 18th or 19th and listen again. 

KYFrid

Me and my buddy went to Calhoun county yesturday and heard a bunch gobbling on the roost. They all shut down as soon as their feet hit the ground though.

wvcurlytop

I live in Grant county and they're gobbling here while on the roost, but shut up too once they fly down.  Roosting with hens!!  You'll hear a couple come evening when they fly up.  I think season will be a good one due to the late spring.  Good luck..

WV TURKEY THUG

Been hearing a bunch in wetzel county .heard 9 from one ridge top a couple weeks ago. Haven't been hearing very many of a evening. Good luck to y'all hope u get a couple toms

longbeard11

Heard 12 different gobblers in Calhoun saturday, they are still flocked up though. We are gonna hit the gobbling peak just right. 

eddie234

I really havent been out yet. I might try this weekend. I know i have birds were i hunt and dont want to disturb them. I have seen a bunch of birds while out driving.
Things seemed to be messed up last year with the early green up, i was able to call birds in everytime i went out but they hung up just out of range. Im hoping things are better this year. Good luck next monday.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

longbeard11

This is stacking up to be one of our best springs in a really long time as far as gobbling all the way through the season. We should hit both peaks right. Hunt every hour you possibly can, those birds will be out looking this year. Foliage wont be on thick until probably late second week so be safe.  Should be a great season.

WV TURKEY THUG

I agree longbeard. I think they actually brung season in at the right time this year. I've around found a few strutting zones and feeding areas and countless roost trees. I believe where in for a good year. Good luck y'all.

longbeards

I am in Hardy County,,little to no gobbling at daylight,,Mon to Friday I had 2 days i didnt hear a bird! When this wet weather that started today breaks I think they will light it up! Or at least I hope so!!